Sun diffused

Story: Open enterprise: Schwartz doesn't get LinuxTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
grouch

May 01, 2006
6:27 AM EDT
I think the author is right on point. Sun has to recognize their market before they can target it. If they're still making noises about Red Hat being all there is to Linux and still not recognizing that Linux is the great commoditizer, then they still do not see that their market lies where Linux has not yet ventured.

Sun has long demonstrated technical expertise. I don't doubt their ability to continue pushing the envelope *if* they recognize that is their strong characteristic and where their market is.

Linux will continue to advance. It leaves niche markets untouched the longest. Businesses with a basis in software can either embrace it, step out of its way, or stay ahead of it.
cr

May 01, 2006
1:42 PM EDT
Maybe they don't dare?

Linux is a rising tide, threatening to ultimately fill all niches at or below its level because of its unbeatable price/performance ratio and its GPL'd immunity to standard competitive tactics. To SMI, it must seem inexorable, threatening to put their options underwater if they cling to their Solaris-centric turf. I'm beginning to think that they can't afford to publicly acknowledge that, though, because of what it'll do to their shares real quick if they do, and they can't change their "Linux story" without saying why. It's a PR-lockin nightmare that might just get them drowned.

I can't see a way out for them, either, after all the waffling (we're talking about the Big Purple Waffle here) in their recent history.

Well, except maybe to take the PR hit and say, "Fine, we're friends with Linux again; you want Linux on Sparc? We offer standard SMI service for Debian-stable-on-Sparc now, Debian-on-Sun-X86 too. We'll support your Linux-on-Sun for you until you see the need to move up to the enterprise features of Solaris."

Well, that, and then don't change their story for at least long enough for a few daring souls to take them at their word.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!