my ping is defective

Story: The Penguin's Practical Network Troubleshooting GuideTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
grouch

May 03, 2006
9:09 PM EDT
Nicely done. Good examples presented, except for my poor, defective ping. It refuses '-a' and complains about '-I'.

I will brutally nmap the author until she provides me with a nice noisy ping and that obviously hacker-created outlandish number of utilities.
tuxchick2

May 04, 2006
8:41 AM EDT
eww, I don't want to hear about your personal health problems. Ick ick ick.

What manner of ping are you using? On my Debian and Fedora systems they are the same. What's the world coming to when you can't even count on ping?
grouch

May 04, 2006
9:51 PM EDT
tuxchick2:

I checked and I'm running ping from netkit-ping http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/netkit-ping

(Admit it -- you know you wanted the sordid details!)
jimf

May 04, 2006
10:33 PM EDT
Here tuxchick, I just posted a nice healthy jpg for you :) No need to deal with those nasty pings... http://debcentral.org/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=53
tuxchick2

May 05, 2006
10:08 AM EDT
Perty! At least you didn't make a horrid .png pun....

netkit-ping? that's a new one. Must have a look. No wait, it's an old one. Modren geeks use iputils-ping. Hey, and there is a ineutils-ping. I had no idea the ping world was so complex.
jimf

May 05, 2006
11:45 AM EDT
Perhaps grouch just needs to try one of the new ones?
dinotrac

May 05, 2006
1:28 PM EDT
All -

This is all a great revelation to me, who never realized that there was more to ping than pong.
jimf

May 05, 2006
1:42 PM EDT
iputils-ping is the stock one that installs on Debian. Apparently, netkit-ping is only installed if you ask for it.
grouch

May 05, 2006
4:58 PM EDT
jimf: I never asked for a defective ping! I've been infiltrated by evil netkitters!

How long has iputils-ping been default? This is not one of my oldest Debian boxes but it still goes back to at least 2002.

[edit:] dino's secret is out now: he browses on his pong machine!
jimf

May 05, 2006
6:13 PM EDT
grouch,

this is a new install from Debian testing (about a month ago), but iputils-ping is default in stable too. Looks like netkit-ping is still under development though... do you have the latest version? 0.10-10 is in stable, and 0.10-10.3 in testing.
grouch

May 05, 2006
7:13 PM EDT
jimf:

.10-10 is installed. I checked the Debian changelog in /usr/share/doc/ and it was split from netbase in August 2000. That caused me to check on my oldest Debian install and it has netkit-ping also. Mine must have come from when it was split from netbase.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!