If developed on Unix/OSX...still not truly libre?

Story: Open Source movie ready!Total Replies: 8
Author Content
devnet

May 09, 2006
5:25 AM EDT
I noticed that they developed this on OSX and Unix based systems along with Linux based ones. I think that it's an interesting story...but in order to be truly libre, they'd wash out all proprietary systems and go with Linux strictly correct?
r_a_trip

May 09, 2006
7:19 AM EDT
but in order to be truly libre, they'd wash out all proprietary systems and go with Linux strictly correct?

GNU was developed on proprietary UNIX before the Linux kernel came around. Linux itself was developed on the fairly restricted Minix. The end-result is what counts.

Is the product libre? Are the base building blocks libre? Are the tools to modify libre and cross-platform? Is the modified result not restricted by Tivo-ization? If all four are yes, it does not matter if the initial development OS was proprietary.

Just fire up Blender on GNU/Linux or *BSD and edit away.
sbergman27

May 09, 2006
4:14 PM EDT
> I noticed that they developed this on OSX and Unix based systems along with Linux based ones. I think that it's an interesting story...but in order to be truly libre, they'd wash out all proprietary systems and go with Linux strictly correct?

There is one area where Free Software is truly taking the lead:

"Religious Fanaticism"

It used to be that I poo-poo'd claims that Linux/FLOSS was a religion. But now I am sad to say that I can't. It has become a religion to (too) many.

In fact, history will show that as being its downfall. (That's my too late for end of 2005, too early for end of 2006 prediction.)

And I hope I am proven wrong! But I fear I won't be.

dinotrac

May 10, 2006
4:46 AM EDT
Steve -

Relax. FOSS has always been a religion for some. It always will be. Many of the more rigid discussions you see today border on word-by-word reiterations of things said 5-6-7 years ago.

It may be a tad worse among the fanatic folk -- Linux and FOSS have become mainstream (if not majority) choices. How do you maintain your specialness when everybody is getting clued in to the secret?

Some choose to become more rabid.

Fortunately, the community is larger, more diverse, and more robust than ever. The very fact that we could have some of the discussions we've had around Linspire (and that Linspire exists) is proof of that.

Leave the zealots to their zeal. Not much you can do about them, anyway. For the rest of us, life is good and getting better.

sbergman27

May 10, 2006
8:25 AM EDT
Yeah. This whole linux thing reminds me of that year, long ago, when "Love Shack" came out and the world discovered my secret favorite group, the B52's. (And I thought "Love Shack" was kinda mediocre. "Girl from Ipanema Goes to Greenland" and "Planet Claire" were much better.)
dinotrac

May 10, 2006
8:46 AM EDT
That's what happens when your favorite seafood is Rock Lobster.
sbergman27

May 10, 2006
8:55 AM EDT
What can I say? Down! Down! Down! ;-)
tuxchick2

May 10, 2006
8:57 AM EDT
Ahem.

There are only two "downs."

signed, the Ministry of NitPicks
sbergman27

May 10, 2006
9:04 AM EDT
I should have known that you, tuxchick(2), would be there to catch that. Yes, I think you are right. There were only 2. Sorry. It must be the Alzheimers. ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!