GoDaddy's WebSite Tonight

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
vaml2006

May 18, 2006
9:31 AM EDT
Greetings to all members -My name is Maylani and I am trying to load GoDaddy's "WebSite Tonight" online site-builder for a client. Every time I try, it takes forever and a day to load -only to produce an error; "Connection was reset" or something like that.

Additional Info: ‘Removed FireFox and Installed IE 7 with tabbed browsing. ‘Changed Security and Privacy Settings to Default and back to custom. ‘Adjusted trusted sites, etc. Turned off Firewall, and pop-up blocker and installed Java applications.

I have called GoDaddy support and they were not much help. There may be an update for the builder but my call was dropped before I could find out. My client signed up with Linux as her platform and I am using Windows. Could this be the problem?

Thank you for allowing me to post here -I am at my wit’s end!

Maylani
theboomboomcars

May 18, 2006
10:25 AM EDT
You can download a live cd, like ubuntu, pclinuxos, etc. and see if it will work under linux for you.
vaml2006

May 18, 2006
11:20 AM EDT
Thank you -will this work with windows? My client chose Linux as the platform but I am using windows to manage her web site. Thanks Again.
jimf

May 18, 2006
11:27 AM EDT
Yeah, just download the ISO, burn it to a CD and boot from the CD. You also might want to consider that future clients are likely to be using Linux, so, It may behove you to become familiar with the OS. A dual boot install on your PC is quite easy to set up.
vaml2006

May 18, 2006
11:41 AM EDT
Thank you for the information, I will try this and post again with the results.
vaml2006

May 18, 2006
4:44 PM EDT
I am having difficulties in trying to boot the ISO CD. I will continue to try this with someone's guidance but it would also be helpful to gather a few more theories about why I cannot launch GoDaddy's sitebuilder.

Many Thanks
jimf

May 18, 2006
5:04 PM EDT
I have no idea of your lever of expertese here so pardon if my question seems simplistic.

First, you did, I hope, burn it as an iso and not just copy the file to the cd?

also, what program are you using to burn the image.

vaml2006

May 18, 2006
5:21 PM EDT
'Burned as an ISO (image file) and the first attempt was with Nero -2nd attempt with ISO Recorder. The image file is from Ubuntu. I have IE 7 and have reinstalled Firefox. I have also gone into system setup and arranged the boot sequence in this order: IDE CD Rom, Diskette, Hard Drive. I always get my usual welcome screen, sign in and get Windows (XP SP2). I have dowloaded "digestit" to verify the ISO file but 'don't know how to do as I have not installed OpenOffice.

(I don't know if this helps but I get "curtains" errors a lot here lately.)

Feel free to ask simple questions -I am not offended, I am grateful for the assistance. Thanks
jimf

May 18, 2006
5:27 PM EDT
Nero should do it fine.

Are you burning as DAO?

also suggest you reduce the burn speed.
vaml2006

May 18, 2006
5:32 PM EDT
If you are asking whether or not I burned the entire image at once, yes, I did. I forgot, however, to slow the speed. Shall I try again? Any other ideas in case this does not work? Much Appreciated -Maylani
jimf

May 18, 2006
5:39 PM EDT
DAO stands for 'disk at once'. Their should be a setting in Nero for that.
grouch

May 18, 2006
5:40 PM EDT
3 things you _should read_:

1. ISO FAQ http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/isofaq.html

2. Verify ISO http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html This is extremely important, especially if you download using IE. IE is infamous for download corruption.

3. HOWTO Burn http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html This includes instructions and 'burning' software for MS Windows.

vaml2006

May 18, 2006
5:45 PM EDT
Thank you all for the help, I will continue with this and post again sometime tomorrow with the results... you rock!
dcparris

May 18, 2006
6:50 PM EDT
> I have called GoDaddy support and they were not much help. There may be an update for the builder but my call was dropped before I could find out. My client signed up with Linux as her platform and I am using Windows. Could this be the problem?

I would not anticipate the difference in platforms being the issue in this case. While I don't know anything at all about "Web-Site Tonight", I would have expected it to be geared toward Windows users, such as yourself, and possibly even IE-specific. It's just fairly rare to run across a GNU/Linux-specific web app. In fact, I've never even heard of one.

That said, if you're going to manage GNU/Linux webhosts, you are now on the right track. ;-)
vaml2006

May 19, 2006
5:53 AM EDT
Well that certainly makes sense as it has been unbelievable to me that I am having so much trouble launching the application -hypothetically, if I were have trouble with OTHER online site builders as well, what would be our first thought? I am considering a system restore on my computer since it has been acting up lately. Perhaps there is an underlying registry problem?

Thank You :)
jimf

May 19, 2006
6:07 AM EDT
vaml2006,

Your problems could be physical, a bad HD, or memory. It could be just fragmentation on the HD, or degradation of the Windows system it's self. I've seen all those things lead to problems in Windows.

You came for help to a Linux specific site, so you have to expect that we have a bias toward Linux. We all think that Linux is a far more stable working platform than any Windows. No comparison really. I Do graphic design, CAD, and some web design and I'd never think of going back to Windows. As I said before, you owe it to yourself to seriously check it out. It's well worth the learning curve.
vaml2006

May 19, 2006
6:25 AM EDT
I am seriously considering the switch but I am afraid of losing my client due to the length of time she has waited already -I've been trying to talk her into redelegating her domain to a provider that never gives me any trouble.... well, not online anyway. The site-builder installed on my computer freezes up quite often -especially here of late. If I cannot resolve this whole SITE-BUILDING-SPECIFIC problem (or so it seems) I will ask my client to be patient a little longer while I make the transition to Linux.

Thanks Guys (and Gals?) Maylani: virtual-impressions.com
devnet

May 19, 2006
6:54 AM EDT
Actually,

if you require help getting Linux up and running right away...give this place a try:

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/HomePage

You won't find a more comprehensive way to get up and running with Linux.
vaml2006

May 19, 2006
6:57 AM EDT
Thank You! You People Rock! If only GoDa.... would provide such support! Where can I make donations for you guys? Please let me know :)

You cannot post until you login.