gemlog

May 21, 2006
5:23 PM EDT
Sorry. I don't get it.

Try here instead: http://opensourcecms.com/
wind0wsr3fund

May 22, 2006
4:08 AM EDT
Because LXer loves showing their readers how to run non-free software on their GNU/Linux systems. If more of us would voice our distaste for this "news", perhaps the staff would get the hint and start acting responsibly. Until then, I'll continue to bring this issue to light despite LXer's attempts to silence me.
grouch

May 22, 2006
4:21 AM EDT
wind0wsr3fund: >"Until then, I'll continue to bring this issue to light despite LXer's attempts to silence me."

If LXer wanted to silence you, on LXer at least, do you think you would be able to post your comment?

I suspect that Scott posted that story because it discusses LAMP. The fact that it uses non-free software which many people will be familiar with is not sufficient reason to bury the story.

As you can see, it prompted gemlog to provide a link to a site dedicated to completely open content management systems. That is helpful. Your comments were just hot air.

Disclosure: In case it's not clear, I'm a "Contributing Editor". That means I'm allowed to contribute and edit.
jdixon

May 22, 2006
5:09 AM EDT
> perhaps the staff would get the hint and start acting responsibly.

Rant mode on...

OK, what is it with people lately. Is there some new gospel according to GNU going around that I haven't seen? This continual bashing of LXer for carrying articles covering proprietary software or presenting the views of those opposed to FOSS is getting ridiculous.

People, you don't have to read every article. I routinely skip the obvious press releases. If you don't like an article, say so and say why, but don't yell at LXer for carrying an news story which is obviously FOSS relevant. Not every article they carry is going to appeal to everyone who reads LXer.

Rant mode off...
tuxchick2

May 22, 2006
8:31 AM EDT
It's astro-turfing. Just more microshaft shills trying to poison the well.
gemlog

May 22, 2006
9:15 AM EDT
I didn't mean to troll -- although it certainly had that effect.

I suppose I was thinking of LT, which used to be a great linux news site with long, thoughtful threads -- by many of the people I see here. Then it began a long, slow slide from that down to mostly press releases with huge, all singing, all dancing ads advising me to "Get the facts".

I say 'suppose I was thinking', because, frankly, I'm not good with deeply insightful subject lines after a few beer on a long weekend. Sorry about that.

In fact, I was assured some time ago that such a slide *won't* happen here and I believe it.

/me chastened
tuxchick2

May 22, 2006
9:43 AM EDT
gemlog, I was whining about wind0wsr3fund's post, not yours. As jdixon noted, there has been a rash recently of folks whining about what stories get posted on LXer, and equating the posting of stories with condoning and approving whatever deeds the stories report. (hey, whatever happened to our little friend rsheim?) (ee never mind, don't want to know)
grouch

May 22, 2006
9:56 AM EDT
gemlog:

Your link provides useful, additional information to supplement the article. Anyone locating that article through LXer will likely notice the thread and that link.

There's a reason why everything posted on LXer invites commentary.
dcparris

May 22, 2006
9:57 AM EDT
gemlog:

We still don't accept advertising from Microsoft, et. al. We will not - certainly not knowingly. When we have had their ads slip into our system, we have acted quickly to remove them. That policy remains in force. We do have one or two people who seem not to know how to choose what stories they want to read. Other than that, we're still devoted to the FOSS community. :-)
tuxchick2

May 22, 2006
10:24 AM EDT
"We do have one or two people who seem not to know how to choose what stories they want to read."

I'm going to be chuckling at that one for awhile. Never confuse clergy with pushover. :)
dinotrac

May 22, 2006
10:34 AM EDT
Well, the Rev is an ex-Marine.

Off in the foggy distance of my overactive imagination's tenuous grasp on reality, I can hear the fierce bark of God's own D.I.:

"John 3:16, you maggots. John 3:16".

and, in friendlier moments:

"Semper Fi, Big C."

dcparris

May 22, 2006
12:54 PM EDT
Tuxchick: > I'm going to be chuckling at that one for awhile. Never confuse clergy with pushover. :)

Yeah, it's what happens when a cowardly kid grows up to be a Marine infantryman, then discovers there's something with more power than a Marine First Sergeant. :-)

Dino: LOL! And, btw, I never thought being the Editor of a GNU/Linux news site could be hazardous to my health. However, eating while reading posts from you guys could very well be a choking hazard.
wind0wsr3fund

May 22, 2006
2:30 PM EDT
"Other than that, we're still devoted to the FOSS community. :-)"

Guess what?

There is no such thing as the FOSS community. If you understood the differences between EACH of them, you'd understand how rediculous the statement is. Of course, I realize you need to say things like that in order to appeal to the masses. From what I can see on this thread, the usual LXer member has no more insight about Free Software than those who are using this site to dilute its meaning and overall value.

Oh and I love the tired stance against Microsoft ads too. Another classic attempt to appeal to the masses. Of course, some of us know there is no difference between Microsoft and any other provider of freedom-restricting wares. In my opinion, this "stance" you speak of is quite narrow and small minded.
tuxchick2

May 22, 2006
2:49 PM EDT
Haw. Told you so. :)
dinotrac

May 22, 2006
3:01 PM EDT
tuxchick:

This "masses" thing -- is he calling me fat? I am, of course, but it's still kind of mean, especially from a guy who can't tell the difference between e and 3.

PS:

Am I being ridiculous here, or merely rediculous?
dcparris

May 22, 2006
3:39 PM EDT
> There is no such thing as the FOSS community. If you understood the differences between EACH of them, you'd understand how rediculous the statement is.

Given that you don't know enough about me to know what I understand, you're speaking out of line. Maybe next time you should find out what I do understand before assuming that I don't.

> From what I can see on this thread, the usual LXer member has no more insight about Free Software than those who are using this site to dilute its meaning and overall value.

What? Are you blind??? :-)

> In my opinion, this "stance" you speak of is quite narrow and small minded.

Possibly. Even so, while I have heard people gripe about Microsoft advertizing on other news sites, I haven't heard anyone but you complain about seeing non-free stuff in the news.

Here's a newsflash for you: LXer publishes news related to GNU/Linux and FOSS, generally. Some of that news contains articles about non-free software. The publishing of news does not constitute an endorsement of the activities or software in question. You never answered that point as made in a previous thread. Do you refrain from watching the six o'clock news for fear of being influenced to murder someone?

While we appreciate constructive criticism, your presumptuous statements about our members and staff suggest you know more about each than you really do. And in a thread where you accuse us of lacking understanding. Isn't that ironic?

> In my opinion, this "stance" you speak of is quite narrow and small minded.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. Thank you for sharing it with us. :-)
tuxchick2

May 22, 2006
3:46 PM EDT
Aww dino, I think of you as big-boned. And anyway when the famine hits, who's going to have the last laugh? Us big-boned folks, that's who. Then you'll see some jolliness.

Now you know how I hate to scold people, but this finicky insistence on correct spelling and grammar is simply not called for. You might cause self-esteem damage, which has been proven by modern science to be the most devastating thing to do to a person. And it dampens creativity, which is the second worst thing modern science can do to a person.
jimf

May 22, 2006
3:48 PM EDT
Does not really state what he believes... Just 'you guys are full of it and this is what I think of you'. Now that's really special :).
dcparris

May 22, 2006
3:52 PM EDT
> Now that's really special

Well we don't discriminate against special people. Isn't that special?
Scott_Ruecker

May 22, 2006
4:02 PM EDT
So, it seems that the articles that get the most grief are the ones that I post. So be it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again,

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." To post articles that only have to do with FOSS and Linux would be to only present half the news. I came to know of Linux because of Firefox. Firefox is free to me but I think we can all agree that it is a product too, just like everything else.

To gemlog and wind0wsr3fund, First, Thank You for the cool link. Second, don't be afraid to submit and story, I submit stuff all the time that doesn't make it. I wonder why and I go and look at it again, and I see why. The story is just a link to another page, Re-hashes of headlines etc..

Scott
gemlog

May 22, 2006
4:13 PM EDT
scott: >To gemlog and wind0wsr3fund You make us sound like a team. Please, I'm sorry already...

Won't *someone* think of the trolls? Please. Stop this maddness!

Let's just return to our regularly scheduled weekend giggle-fest.

Here's another, similar site I found yesterday. Haven't been through it though: http://www.wikimatrix.org/
dcparris

May 22, 2006
4:30 PM EDT
> You make us sound like a team. Please, I'm sorry already...

Scott really should be ashamed of himself. ;-)
jdixon

May 22, 2006
5:09 PM EDT
> From what I can see on this thread, the usual LXer member has no more insight about Free Software than those who are using this site to dilute its meaning and overall value.

Hmm. I've been using Slackware for 12 years now, and helping people with Linux problems almost as long. Tuxchick wrote Linux Cookbook. I've seen Dino around and posting on various Linux fora since forever, though I can't really say what he's good for :). So, who exactly are you to tell us who does and who doesn't have insight into Free Software?

> ...some of us know there is no difference between Microsoft and any other provider of freedom-restricting wares.

And the rest of us understand that there is a big difference between a convicted monopoly and your average provider of proprietary software.

> You make us sound like a team. Please, I'm sorry already...

Relax gemlog, no ones blaming you. Your link was a useful addition to the conversation.
jdixon

May 22, 2006
5:11 PM EDT
> Haw. Told you so. :)

Darn it, tuxchick. Do you have to be right ALL the time? :)
gemlog

May 22, 2006
5:19 PM EDT
jdixon: thanks. I've been trying to make light of it, but the fact is I have a copy of Slack 2.1 with 1.1.54 beside me on the shelf, which I purchased new: I'm old enough to know better than to post a subject line like that.

Have I mentioned complex sugars were involved? Another lesson (re)learned.
dcparris

May 22, 2006
5:33 PM EDT
gemlog: Haven't seen you 'round these here parts before. If you're not new, it's good to meet you. If you are new, it's good to meet you. Make yourself at home - if you haven't already. And um... I just want to know if those complex sugars happen to be binary-only or source sugars?
gemlog

May 22, 2006
5:54 PM EDT
dcparris: I've been here for a long time. Just don't normally post. I think you can guess why. :-)

Actually, I've pm'd you before. I was telling you about: http://epresence.tv/info/apps.htm With the idea that you might post about it. I hadn't noticed that I could submit my own stories.

It's not news per se. I just thought it might be of interest as Adobe wants 60K$ for similar. It's *mostly* free as in beer and speech (bsd), but the live version's source requires a 'membership'. RMS did similar, so no foul there. Even for wind0wsr3fund.

Anyhow, thanks for the welcome! Oh, and the churchman doing the church lady earlier cracked me up. Really special.
dcparris

May 22, 2006
6:27 PM EDT
> I've been here for a long time. Just don't normally post. I think you can guess why. :-)

You should get out more. The 1's and 0's will do you good. :-)

> Actually, I've pm'd you before. I was telling you about: [HYPERLINK@epresence.tv] With the idea that you might post about it. I hadn't noticed that I could submit my own stories.

Ummm... Now I remember. I must have gotten sidetracked. I've got at least one more story to write up that is sure to bring out the troll(s) again, so after that I might be able to go back and look at this thing again. Thanks for reminding me of it.

> Anyhow, thanks for the welcome! Oh, and the churchman doing the church lady earlier cracked me up. Really special.

See. That's why you should post more often - not less. And now for something completely different!
gemlog

May 22, 2006
6:35 PM EDT
dcparris/monty: you got another guffaw out of me. If you don't quit, I'm going to recite Vogon poetry next.

Oh! Freedled gruntlebuggies, thy micturations are to thee...

dinotrac

May 22, 2006
6:40 PM EDT
>though I can't really say what he's good for

You've been talking to my wife, haven't you?
dinotrac

May 22, 2006
6:45 PM EDT
Hey TC (and I ain't talkin' Top Cat):

>You might cause self-esteem damage, which has been proven by modern science to be the most devastating thing to do to a person.

Now wait a minute -- some folks could stand to have their self esteem lowered a notch or three. We masses, on the other hand, are already appropriately humble.

I, for example, am rightfully famous for my humility.
jdixon

May 22, 2006
6:46 PM EDT
> You've been talking to my wife, haven't you?

Naw, just doing my best to fill Paul's shoes while he's away. :) I know it's a feeble attempt, but someone has to try.
dinotrac

May 22, 2006
6:50 PM EDT
jdixon:

>I know it's a feeble attempt, but someone has to try.

I appreciate the noble effort. A fine effort, in fact. It's just that -- well, there's only Paulie. Who knows -- if we keep putting cheese on the trigger, maybe he'll bite!
Scott_Ruecker

May 22, 2006
6:52 PM EDT
You got me on the Vogon but here is what I got,

"and alone and without his nest, shall the Eagle fly across the sun." - Kahlil Gibran

One of my all time favorites.
dinotrac

May 22, 2006
6:55 PM EDT
>"and alone and without his nest, shall the Eagle fly across the sun." - Kahlil Gibran

Hey Scott --

Haven't you been paying attention? This is LXer. It's all about LINUX stuff. Kindly keep Don Henley out of it.
Scott_Ruecker

May 22, 2006
7:03 PM EDT
Ouch! :-)

Thank You but the "Hotel" has been permanently closed! Thank You for calling!!

You know, I think I'm going to head out on that highway, and get some cool wind in my hair..

:-)
dcparris

May 22, 2006
7:09 PM EDT
Gemlog: Look at all the posts since my last one. See? Aren't we special?
gemlog

May 22, 2006
7:12 PM EDT
scott: Well, you certainly have *me* on Kahlil Gibran!

I see he's Lebonese (quick google). No shortage of Cat-licks there either, so I'm sure I'll learn something of interest to me.

I'm sorry I don't know where you're from and dcparris and I have been trading a bunch of silly pop-culture references spanning 20 years or so.

The 'Church Lady' was a character on the television show Saturday Night Live who's tagline was "Isn't that special?".

"And now for something completely different!" was used in the British TV comedy 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' as an intro to the next skit.

'Vogons' are an imaginary race of space aliens popularized in the series of books written by Douglas Adams called 'The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. Oh, and the "poetry" quote came from memory and is surely wrong. In the book it was considered a horrible torture to have to endure listening to it.

Whew. Culture is complicated stuff.

I will go and have a little read about Kahlil Gibran -- so I can catch your refs in future :-)

Edit: Gibrran is a serious topic and I was just having a bit of fun with dcparris. I'd be happy to carry on some correspondence with you privately, if you wish it. If so, please send me a link to something you think would help to educate me. I'm reading up now on my own. Thanks.
jimf

May 22, 2006
7:59 PM EDT
> spanning 20 years or so

Much of that is far older... As are most of us :D

Welcome gemlog.
gemlog

May 22, 2006
8:28 PM EDT
>> spanning 20 years or so >Much of that is far older... As are most of us :D Hence the careful weasle-wording of "or so".

Good thing it's a workday tomorrow. I could live in here :-)

I'll just go back to scanning the headlines between here and http://alterslash.org/

Otherwise I won't get any work done! It's like the song that never ends :-)

It just goes on and on my friends.
grouch

May 22, 2006
8:41 PM EDT
gemlog:

You seem to have a knack for digging up interesting stuff. Next time you get wrapped up in some reading, think about using that "Post story" link to share it with the rest of us. You've already added 3 tabs to my browser. I'm down to just dots, again.

Otherwise that little notice about the highway planned to go through your living room might not be posted in a more prominent place than it is right now. You did see it, didn't you?
gemlog

May 22, 2006
8:45 PM EDT
grouch: You mean the one in the small, out of the way room in the basement? No. What are you talking about?
grouch

May 22, 2006
8:55 PM EDT
gemlog: >"You mean the one in the small, out of the way room in the basement?"

They don't pull those stunts anymore. There's this warehouse, you see, with neatly stacked boxes of such notices, arranged and sorted by time-of-issue (minutes, then hours, day, month, year, century) going back to 1842. It's a simple matter to locate yours; just remember the minute it was posted.
gemlog

May 22, 2006
9:03 PM EDT
grouch: completely OT (not that there is one) are you T.V.? Just curious why http://moodle.org wasn't mentioned in the article with the most refs. I don' think that's giving away much.
grouch

May 23, 2006
12:31 AM EDT
gemlog:

Many would say that it is just a coincidence that my telco suddenly, in the middle of the night, decided its call load was too heavy and dropped my connection just as I read your comment. However, since I have a closet full of tinfoil hats, I'm quite sure that somehow you reached out through the network and deliberately knocked one of the old fence wires off its post and thereby wiped out connections for my entire region (all 3 or 4 people in the area who have heard of the Internet). After 3 hours of continuous re-dialing, I'm back.

Perhaps it was just a cow resting against the telco's wire and she has finally decided to stand up and stretch. I'm not ruling out the possibility that you enticed her to ground that wire, though, in retaliation for my refusal to point you to the highway notice we discussed.

Back to your OT, yes, I had a run-in with 1 moodle user over what I considered a deceptive presentation made of something I've maintained for several years. IMO, that person was simply leeching bandwidth and content under his banner.

dcparris

May 23, 2006
6:49 AM EDT
Still OT: Small world. My book is now a moodle course. :-)
grouch

May 23, 2006
6:58 AM EDT
dcparris:

I hope you have a better experience with it than I did. I don't see any use for it except deception.
dcparris

May 23, 2006
7:15 AM EDT
Well, I'm not the driving force in this case. A well-known education guru, who is deeply involved in educational events in his state wanted to make my book a Moodle course as an example for use in his Christian Education endeavors. Even though the license gives him explicit permission to use the book in such a way, he and his group wanted me actually involved. I haven't really had time to be involved, but it's definitely available.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!