Chump change

Story: Microsoft loses South Korea appealTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
theboomboomcars

May 24, 2006
6:19 AM EDT
"The FTC also fined Microsoft 32.5 billion won ($34.24 million)." Fining M$ $34 million, is like asking me for a penny, what good will it do?

random

May 24, 2006
9:21 AM EDT
"what good will it do?"

I agree, but not for the same reason. Obviously they couldn't have hoped to cripple them with this fine. It's not what Microsoft lost, but what the FTC gained.

My question is: what good is that money in the FTC's hands? I'm genuinely curious as I don't know how these things end up. I mean, the FTC is taking a fine because consumer's choices are being limited and competing software is being held back.

So, both Microsoft and the FTC benefit from MS's dirty business practices? What will the FTC be using that money for? Can Microsoft afford these fines as the cost of doing business?

Forgive my ignorance, but I just don't see how anyone affected will be compensated. I don't see how Microsoft is being adequately punished (I'd rather see more fairness to competition than taking their money). And the government walks away with free money, in the name of "consumer protection"?

What's going to change?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!