red flags for me

Story: Linux: Tainting the Kernel From UserlandTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
jimf

May 30, 2006
7:02 AM EDT
> the Real-Time Specification for Java (RTSJ) **requires** that the JVM provide class functions which provide direct access to physical memory; all physical memory.

Now, I'm not a programmer, but I am an Engineer, and this puts up all sorts of red flags for me. TAINT flag be damned, why was this ever a part of Java, and since it is, why do we want to use Java? Java is beginning to sound like less and less of a deal.
tuxchick2

May 30, 2006
7:07 AM EDT
This does sound bizarre. I thought we left that sort of thing behind with the tired corpse of MS-DOS.
number6x

May 31, 2006
4:19 AM EDT
Real-Time specification, not normal every day Java, or even enterprise Java.

This is a spec for java that would be used for real time stuff like as a timing system in a laboratory. Waiting for the OS to get around to allocating resources to a program is not an option in real-time systems.

Of course in Real-Life there are very few systems that need Real-Time. For those, running in user-space (and consequently user-time) is just fine.

This is a red flag, but real-time systems are only used when the benefits of quick memory access outweigh the drawbacks of trashing memory. Regular Java runs in a memory protected 'sandbox'
jimf

May 31, 2006
5:28 AM EDT
Thanks for clarifying that number6x.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!