Get the facts

Story: The Pirate Bay CircusTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
maggrand

Jun 04, 2006
11:10 AM EDT
You have completly missed the point in this story. In pirate bay they also share opensource software as Linux. And it is people who do that. Not Pirate Bay. And opensource don't loose anything on this. People wants freedom and openess. And thats what the fight is about. Opensource means freedom.

So i would rather say vote for piratpartiet. Support piratebay. The losers is Microsoft, antipiratbyrån and so on.

jimf

Jun 04, 2006
11:24 AM EDT
I think you need to reread the article.
tuxchick2

Jun 04, 2006
3:20 PM EDT
The article is a bit confusing. And they're just as guilty of using newspeak, just like the entertainment industry which labels everyone who does something they don't like as a pirate or a thief, by calling copyright infringement "sharing." Yes, the MAFIAA have gone way overboard. That's not an excuse for us sane people to do the same.
jdixon

Jun 04, 2006
4:27 PM EDT
Well, if I were Swedish, I'd more more than a little miffed at my public officials rolling over for the MPAA this way. There does appear to be some doubt as to whether the site is actually breaking Swedish law, or they'd have been shut down long before now. There are established procedures for taking test cases such as this to court, and shutting down an entire ISP and several hundred customers wasn't in the list the last time I looked. And, of course, all it did was move the site to a new location. They're back on line and operating normally, with further recovery plans in place if required. It looks like the MPAA and RIAA still haven't gotten the message that prohibition doesn't work.
tuxchick2

Jun 04, 2006
5:07 PM EDT
yes, jdixon, you're right on all points. What a circus.
dcparris

Jun 04, 2006
7:14 PM EDT
> It looks like the MPAA and RIAA still haven't gotten the message that prohibition doesn't work.

That's funny. It's the same thing my Pa, who now rides along with the county sheriff's department as a chaplain has said about drug enforcement. It blew me away when I heard him with my own two ears say we should probably just legalize drugs (at least marijuana). He told me he changed his views working with the sheriff's department. I still needed a chair to sit in. ;-)

Yeah, let's legalize sharing. What a novel concept!
grouch

Jun 04, 2006
9:56 PM EDT
dcparris:

I wouldn't have any qualms with legalizing the use of marijuana in situations where others are not directly harmed. It would drive down the price, eliminating the underground market, and alleviate a lot of trouble caused by the long-running idiocy associated with it being criminalized.

On the other hand, anyone peddling it to kids should be drawn and quartered. I'd gladly provide a rusty machete for that purpose.

The MAFIAA, as well as Bill Gates, uses massive propaganda to equate copyright infringement with violent take-over of ships or aircraft. They also attempt to embrace and extend copyright law in order to extinguish traditional fair-use rights.

If I purchase a movie on DVD, I may assume the artists involved in its production have been compensated through their chosen publisher. I have the right to experience their artistic expression contained by that DVD. The MAFIAA has no right to dictate that I may not view it using GNU/Linux. This would be the equivalent of a book publisher dictating what brand of light bulb I might use to read a book.

I also have the right to share the experience of that purchased artistic expression with others. This does not mean I have the right to make a copy of the contents of that DVD to give to someone else. Sharing has to be done in such a way as to respect the owner's rights.

The problem in the digital age is that it is extremely easy to become an unauthorized publisher. I can very easily make an exact duplicate of the contents of that DVD and share that duplicate with other people. That would make me an unauthorized publisher, infringing on the artists' exclusive right to determine their own publisher.

Ever seen dire warnings about "unauthorized viewing" before a movie? That's a farcical attempt to extend copyright law. There are all sorts of terror tactics employed by the cartel to attempt to extend their control where they have no right.

(I'm certain that nothing above is new to you, but there could be other eyes on this thread).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!