The current Fedora Core 5 is pre-alpha code?

Story: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Beta 1 Due In JulyTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
sbergman27

Jun 05, 2006
9:28 PM EDT
> The current Fedora Core 5 is pre-alpha code, Red Hat executives said.

Surely this is a typo. Can't say as I disagree, though.

I switched to Centos (RHEL clone) because I got one too many "I don't have time to look at this so I'm filing it upstream but don't worry because the upstream author is really responsive" responses from the guy who was (finally) assigned to see why nautilus cd burner never recognized that it had a blank cd ready to be written to on certain CDR/CDRW drives. The bug was filed in July 2005 and as of Jan 2006 had not been seriously looked at, let alone fixed.

But that was FC4.

I tried out FC5 in early May. I was itching to see the "wiggly windows" that are supposedly going to make 2006 the year of the Linux desktop. I installed, which was a bit difficult since the installer thought it was running 800x600 but the display was really 640x480 and so was the virtual. Fortunately, I've done enough installs that I didn't need to see the missing 36% of the screen. (Yeah I could have done a text install.)

Then I went to check out the Windows killer wiggly windows... and was met by a 640x480 desktop. No matter what I did in xorg.conf it was 640x480. I checked bugzilla. And this bug, which only affects all supported radeon cards, had been reported in March but had only recently been assigned. The assignee promptly marked it "waiting for info". I added my xorg.conf and X log files to those that had already been provided and... deleted the partition, returned to CentOS 4, and never looked back.

So I must confess to having rolled on the floor a bit when I saw the above "quote" from RedHat executives. :-)

I used to be a big FC fan. But FC's increasingly cavalier attitude towards its users has just gone too far to tolerate. It seems that Fedora *does* eat your brane.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!