felt compelled to give my two cents worth

Story: Stop using Internet ExplorerTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
jsusanka

Jun 07, 2006
5:15 AM EDT
"Now, go to the Control Panel and turn on Automatic Updates, and the only time you’ll need to open IE is for a Web site written specifically for it."

anyone who still develops IE only websites (intranet or internet) should be fired and get a career change. the web was not meant for one freakin browser.
helios

Jun 07, 2006
5:13 PM EDT
This is one case in point for the above-mentioned nightmare of browser channeling and it is still being done believe it or not.

I belonged to a small but popular credit union here in Austin. Upon opening a new account for L4L, I attempted to go to the webpage that acted as a portal to my account info. Behold the Bold Print:

"It appears you are using a browser other than Internet Explorer. Please follow this link (handy html code included) to install Internet Explorer and sign in again."

Well, I can beat that. I did the ol' switcheroo in the tools bar and tried it again. It wasn't fooled. Since the Credit Union is only 3 blocks from my house, I jaunted over to have a chat with the fine folks there. It wasn't a pretty exchange. Without making you suffer the dialog switches, I will simply relate to you their "stance" on the matter.

IE is the "accepted" browser of big business and any other browser has not been tested to be as secure as IE. I almost fell over. I asked to speak to the branch manager and she was not helpful at all. I asked her if she knew just how insecure IE is and had she read the damning reports from all over "big business" about the weakness of IE. She said she had not.

I finally made her a deal. If she would hold me unaccountable (pun fully intended) for any criminal charges, I would indeed attempt to, and succeed with either breaching her defenses or rendering the website inoperable. She of course, refused such an offer.

I of course closed my account immediately, and doing so loud enough for every one in the lobby to hear. I made sure they knew the institution was using software that any 14 year old script Kiddie could invade.

You would think by now, "Big Business" would have gotten the word about IE.

jimf

Jun 07, 2006
6:29 PM EDT
> You would think by now, "Big Business" would have gotten the word about IE.

You'd think they would, but many, like my bank, just put up a disclaimer. Now to be fair, the latest Firefox and Opera do work with the site.
jdixon

Jun 07, 2006
6:47 PM EDT
> a small but popular credit union here in Austin.

I guess I should consider myself lucky. The small bank here in Mannington uses a service which is almost completely Firefox compatible ( a couple of the screens have messed up buttons, but it's usable). http://www.firstexchangebank.com/ for those of you interested.
dcparris

Jun 07, 2006
6:57 PM EDT
> I finally made her a deal. If she would hold me unaccountable (pun fully intended) for any criminal charges, I would indeed attempt to, and succeed with either breaching her defenses or rendering the website inoperable. She of course, refused such an offer.

Imagine that!
Sander_Marechal

Jun 08, 2006
2:42 AM EDT
I guess I'm lucky as well. I have used the online banking system of several major banks here in The Netherlands and all of them were compatible with Firefox.
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 08, 2006
4:28 PM EDT
One of my jobs is as a vendor rep for a large computer manufacturer. The website that I have to go to to do my reports is only compatible with I.E. I have tried everything I know to fool it, without success.

Its not about 'security', its about tracking. It is a lot easier to track users when they are using I.E. rather than another browser.

Don't you just love Active-X?

NOT!!!
jdixon

Jun 08, 2006
6:33 PM EDT
Scott:

> Don't you just love Active-X?

The good news is that if they're using Active-X, it will probably stop working with IE7. So maybe there's hope after all.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!