business desktop?

Story: Dapper Drake verdict: It sucksTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tuxchick2

Jun 12, 2006
10:02 AM EDT
The article claims that Dapper is targeted at the business desktop. Aside from all the problems with it, I don't see it as a business desktop. To me, a business desktop has all kinds of administration tools built-in, like automated rollouts, easy customization for creating a default configuration, easy cloning, network installs, remote helpdesk, and something like cfengine for automating patching and maintenance. All of these tools are available piecemeal, but I don't think you can call it a business desktop until these things are built-in and ready to roll.
devnet

Jun 12, 2006
1:09 PM EDT
I think Dapper is about as far away from business as you can get :)
jsusanka

Jun 23, 2006
11:39 AM EDT
like automated rollouts - kickstart easy customization for creating a default configuration - sabayan easy cloning - see kickstart network installs - you can make your own apt repository on the network just like putting the redhat/suse cds on a http/nfs server remote helpdesk - got me on that one - not sure I have seen this with other distribution either. but there are tons of helpdesk web applications and something like cfengine for automating patching and maintenance - why? you can create your own apt repository for patching and you can install cfengine and configure it just like any other distro.

not a ubuntu fanboy but gees you can make any distro be a business desktop - business desktops are pretty dumbed down and easy to create.

tuxchick2

Jun 23, 2006
11:47 AM EDT
No, it's not a business desktop. A business desktop would have all the business features built-in. If you have to assemble all the pieces yourself it's an ordinary general-purpose distribution. That's not a slam on Ubuntu, just a fact.

Incidentally, I haven't seen any claims of Dapper being a "business" desktop from anyone but the author of this article.

jsusanka

Jun 24, 2006
7:08 PM EDT
"A business desktop would have all the business features built-in."

what do you mean built in? guess I am not clear on that. but those things you list are built into ubuntu just as much as they are in redhat and suse.
grouch

Jun 25, 2006
5:45 AM EDT
tuxchick2:

A "business desktop" shouldn't have all the administration tools built-in. It should be simple, so the admin doesn't have to spend a lot of time taking things out, and easy for the user, so the admin only needs to add those task-specific things each group of business users needs for their jobs. If it comes with a fairly intuitive GUI but not lots of stuff that are not needed for the job, it won't take a lot of time for the admin to make a custom setup to roll out to various departments.
devnet

Jun 26, 2006
6:27 AM EDT
grouch,

I'd say the perfect business desktop would be debian thin clients running something easy and quick for desktop like kde-lite or XFCE.

Makes administration a snap :D updates to a few computers and you're set. Things locked down pretty tight and if a user needs access, add to the sudo group and you're set.

Now if I can just get my users to fill out an IT request form when they need access to something instead of phoning the help desk I'd be set :)
jdixon

Jun 26, 2006
10:02 AM EDT
> Now if I can just get my users to fill out an IT request form when they need access to something instead of phoning the help desk I'd be set :)

You mean they haven't found your cell phone number yet? :)
perseis

Jun 27, 2006
3:16 AM EDT
I saw it in helios' rolodex this morning...I will fax all staff with it here in a bit.
devnet

Jun 27, 2006
5:01 AM EDT
*bows head in resignation*

"crap."

*answers phone*

"help desk, how can I help you?"

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!