Minus one monopoly

Story: Oracle tried to buy open-source MySQLTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
linuxhosting

Jun 20, 2006
7:09 PM EDT
> Good news in this affair up to now - minus one monopoly.

This post edited due to Spam.
tuxchick2

Jun 20, 2006
7:15 PM EDT
what's with the spammers? Are you stupid, desperate, or both?
linuxhosting

Jun 21, 2006
9:37 AM EDT
It was not spam - it was signature.
jdixon

Jun 21, 2006
10:54 AM EDT
> It was not spam - it was signature.

You like signatures that say "Hey, I'm a moron"?
linuxhosting

Jun 21, 2006
1:46 PM EDT
No. But you have just used one. Shame on you.
dcparris

Jun 21, 2006
2:17 PM EDT
linuxhosting: It wasn't recognized as a signature. It really looked like ad spam. May I suggest including a more complete signature, such as some contact info, etc. in the future?
tuxchick2

Jun 21, 2006
2:19 PM EDT
Well now, here's the deal. Forums all over the place being bombarded with spam that tries to appear legitimate by posting a message. Then they either try to get tricksy and sneak stuff inside HTML code or links in the post, or include a sig which is not really a sig, but the main purpose of the posting. But the messages are short and generic, and often downright pointless. Here are some examples from a forum that I moderate:

Well... its really cool! Heh..Where is here some web gallery about site creators?I'm need it.For example, as here - Google, I'm really have seen ithere.Good luck!

This one is an example of a spammer sending out a test probe to see how the forum mods will respond:

Nicely done and informative! Regards! it's first class!Very good info!Thank you!

The day after this went up, the user posted a bale of spams. Some of them are just plain stupid and obvious:

play list i have my screen on 1600x1200 at 76hz and when i used winamp it came on so small so i double sized it but the play list refuses to double size so it looks goffy and i can barely read the songs.. is there a way to get the playlist to grow?aggressive legal services rhode islandtoyota trucks bahamas and family vacationsBuy cheap Phetermine Phnentermine regional advertising campaign healthcare billing compliance

Now an astute observer would have noticed after a grueling 30 or 40 seconds of study that there are no sigs on LXer. Said observer would would also know, if they had been on the Internet more than a month, that certain industries, like say, oh, I don't know, just a random example like Web hosting, are notorious for spamming.

Spamming moderated forums is a complete waste of time, which makes me wonder about the desperation level of the spammers who try it. It's time-consuming and it doesn't work. Are all the good botnets taken?

jdixon

Jun 21, 2006
2:42 PM EDT
> You liNo. But you have just used one. Shame on you.

Unlike you, I don't claim that the content of my post is a sig. It may be a moronic post (I'll leave that to the readers to decide), but it's not a sig.
linuxhosting

Jun 21, 2006
5:27 PM EDT
jdixon - Up to now the only posting in this thread that was relevant to the story was the first one. Oracle + MySQL it is actually one more possible monopoly (at least too large portion of the overall networked DB market).
jdixon

Jun 21, 2006
7:12 PM EDT
> Up to now the only posting in this thread that was relevant to the story was the first one.

As it currently stands, yes. As originally posted, over 90% of it had nothing to do with the story.

However, I think DB2 has a large enough presence to keep Oracle from being a monopoly all by itself, even without taking into acount the other commercial players in the field or the competing open source databases.
linuxhosting

Jun 21, 2006
8:28 PM EDT
jdixon - 90% ? May be a bit exagerrated for a short link? (Ok, I don't like my nickname here as well, but it is not really part of the posting). I thought that DB2 competes Oracle in banking industry and different enterprise applications, not in networked DBs. Oracle + MySQL appears to have the full scope from free open source DBs to huge systems. It appears that none have such a scope nowadays.

tuxchick2 - Does it matter what where the intentions if the content is relevant? A mean boredom, lobbying of something or adding a link? There is a difference between the irrelevant content that you described and irrelevant signature that accompanies relevant content (ok, may be it was too short - nothing about DB2, MSAccess etc.).
dcparris

Jun 21, 2006
8:56 PM EDT
LinuxHosting: Your message was still in violation of the ToS:

8. Members are restricted from utilizing the LXer services to create business opportunities, without express prior written permission from an officer of LXer. This includes, but is not limited to, advertising products or services in any communication medium, including, but not limited to, the discussion forums and the member E-mail system.

What you did looked like an ad - not a sig. Assuming you're not new to the Internet, you should really know better than to post something like that in a forum where people don't know you. As has been stated, you should have realized that no one here uses sigs. Had your "sig" looked like a business card, it would have been taken rather differently.
grouch

Jun 22, 2006
2:16 AM EDT
The terms of service provide sufficient reason to delete the comment without explanation or discussion. You want to advertise to LXer readers? Buy an ad. Otherwise, LXer owes you nothing, nada, zip, zilch, including an explanation or justification for deleting your spam. There are too many folks who will not abuse the system to allow those who will to disrupt it.
jdixon

Jun 22, 2006
3:34 AM EDT
> ...90% ? May be a bit exagerrated...

I saw the post before it was editted. The "sig" took up an entire screen (from memory, more than that). 90% is probably being generous. I'll grant the possibility that what you posted bore little resemblence to what you thought you were posting, and that the offending material referred to by the editors was posted by mistake.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!