the cost of monopoly

Story: The Transitive Property of Dots: What Price Massachusetts?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
grouch

Jun 23, 2006
12:57 PM EDT
From the article:

"Since expenditures to date must exceed potential MS Office licensing revenues from the Bay State for some time to come, the importance of achieving adoption under the ITD's Enterprise Technical Reference Model on a parity with ODF must seem high indeed to Steve Ballmer. "

It is important to Microsoft to keep people within that MS Office cage. If enough escape, the escapees may let others know that life is good outside the monopoly. That could start a stampede which could, in turn, eat into those billions coming in from MS Office licenses every year.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 23, 2006
1:08 PM EDT
I'm not sure about this "for some time" thing. Doesn't the writer know that Office Vista (or whatever it will actually be called) with its xML file format, will consign the present Microsoft software and file formats to oblivion? Upgrading will be hyped, and within a year. The software donations are set to pay back much faster than this writer seems to assume.
beirwin

Jun 23, 2006
2:42 PM EDT
My ancestors came from Massachusetts and they were a stubborn lot. I'm sure these Microsoft "tactics" will backfire -- Yankees don't like to be told what to do. I don't!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!