2 things that irk me about Dapper Drake

Story: Review: How Dapper is Drake?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
devnet

Jun 29, 2006
9:31 AM EDT
You'd think that Dapper Drake was the cat's PJs after reading so many reviews about it being teh hawt distro. I found it unstable right out of the box...Here are the two MAJOR flaws with the installer. After it's installed, no problems. I just wish they had XFS support...afterall, it is an option in the partitioner.

1. XFS is an option for filesystem but the installer crashes and won't install. So you're forced to use other filesystems. I like XFS. I use XFS. I can't use XFS with Ubuntu when I install it. That sucks.

2. The timezone option confused the crap out of everyone I helped install it. They didn't know why Ubuntu said it was 9PM in their Kmenu and then said it was 5PM in the timesetting screen when they selected EST. I told them just to select +0 GMT and run with it. They didn't like that very much...made them uneasy right off the bat to not understand something that 'should' be easy.
sbergman27

Jun 29, 2006
9:49 AM EDT
> I like XFS. I use XFS.

I hope you have a good UPS and keep good backups. Despite what the XFS FAQ says about XFS 1.1+, the XFS policy of nulling out data before making changes to metadata and writing the new data still makes it the most fragile of the popular Linux filesystems. I've corresponded with several people who have found this out the hard way.
devnet

Jun 29, 2006
9:54 AM EDT
UPS: APC 1500XS

Backups done by the server w cron using rsynch :D

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!