Instant Mail Server

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Tracer

Jun 30, 2006
3:44 AM EDT
How come there's no easy way to bring up a Linux mail server in an office with LDAP, POP3, SMTP, and perhaps Webmail if my users need that occasionally? Instead, I have to bring these components up separately and try to connect them together, and I have to edit a mess of text files and learn a lot of stuff. Also, as mail goes, it sounds like a failover cluster is critical here too, so that's yet another thing to learn. I just wish for something like:

apt-get install ims #ims = instant mail server ne /etc/ims/ldap/users.xml ne /etc/ims/mail/mail.conf /etc/init.d/ims start

And then on another server, do:

apt-get install ims-failover ne /etc/ims/failover/failover.conf /etc/init.d/ims-failover start

Sander_Marechal

Jun 30, 2006
4:50 AM EDT
Yeah, such a thing should me as common as a LAMP stack. I'm actually kind of surprised that no distro has jumped in this market yet: standard server installations. Much like you can choose "LAMP stack" from the Ubuntu 6.06 installation menu. Imagine a server distro. Put in the CD, reboot, and you get a menu like:

* install LAMP server * install SMB server (samba/cifs NAS + printing) * install application server (jboss + TLS) * install database server (MySQL, PostgresQL, SQLite, + assorted management tools) * install gateway server (mail routing + clamAV + squid + firewall) * install mail server (what you said) * install collaboration server (jabber, webDAV, calendar sharing, etcetera) * install backup server (aimed at any of the above) * install bare system * custom

I have seen some distro's offer some options, but not a distro specifically aimed at offering many different well integrated server stacks aimed at different purposes. Even better: one where the above stacks are integrated with eachother as well. E.g, installing a standard LAMP stack will check to see if a standard database server is present, or a standard mail server. The standard backup server is aware of the other standard servers and provide automatic backups of them, etcetera.

Now *that* would be a kick-ass server distro :-)
devnet

Jun 30, 2006
5:54 AM EDT
See rpath Linux.

They have 'appliances' that you can install. They use conary for the package manager which is what rpm _should_ have been originally if they'd have thunk about it :D

rpath is made by some guys who jumped ship at red hat.

http://www.rpath.com/corp/index.html

So, it's available...but you'll need to learn a new way of doing things with rpath...conary can be a bit daunting.

You cannot post until you login.