I use Linux for what it DOESN'T do...

Story: The transition away from MicrosoftnessTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
hiohoaus

Jul 05, 2006
4:09 PM EDT
...so the idea of copying 'Doze features is not an attractive one.

I can install and leave a Linux machine alone for several years at a time, but I'd be seriously lucky to get more than a few uninterrupted months out of a 'Doze box before it managed to trash itself somehow.

I'd like to keep the serious survival times, they're an important sales point as well as being plain useful.
helios

Jul 05, 2006
7:43 PM EDT
yep, I have 6 computers running in my house, all at 24/7 status. One of them is a sp2 patched XP box. My wife insists on keeping it for her little gamehouse games and such. I bought the brand new crossover by codeweavers and Ill be darned if they STILL cant get these simple little games to render. Wine is a complete loss on them as well. Go figure.

The stability of this system is amazing, and if I may repeat myself here...once the "TECHNOLOGICAL BREAKTHRU FROM LINUX" announcement is made by some schmuck in a blue suit on the six oclock news, it's gonna be a whole new ball game. The Live CD you, I, Carla, Scott, grouch, Don...every linux user has come to take for granted will be a jolt to those who think it's illegal to remove doze from a computer. No really, I ran into a junior high principal who swore it was against the law to remove it from the computer. Now many other people share the same misinformation?

I will spill a few beans here in the relative quiet of this small thread. Microsoft does not intend to compete with Linux...not head to head. My Sister is married to an uper-level management type in marketing and he told me straight out. MS's new cash cow will be DRM technology.

Why do you think I just went to Washington? Trouble is...Most in charge there, the staffers who "brief" their congressman or senator, believe that MS knows what they are doing and should be handed the keys to OZ. It's easier to keep up with one corporation than many. You think I am kidding don't you.

I wish I was.

The Analog hole is all but plugged and it will be done with THE American Flag.

h

grouch

Jul 05, 2006
9:02 PM EDT
helios: >"No really, I ran into a junior high principal who swore it was against the law to remove it from the computer. Now many other people share the same misinformation?"

This is why we have to confront MS lies and FUD. That particular lie has been floating around for a long time. See this, from the old Reg:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/05/03/ms_disappears_claim_...

Wanna bet that their slime-force, er, I mean, sales force doesn't still verbally inject that little piece of disinformation into pitches to school boards and administrators?
pogson

Jul 06, 2006
5:49 PM EDT
I switched to Linux mostly because it does not crash, but as I have matured, I have learned to appreciate the other things it does not do like phone home, pick up viruses, insist on the same application opening a file as created the file, taking two clicks to do anything, increase Bill's pension, take 30s to give out an IP address, ignore me for long periods, ask for lengthy typing test before installing, exclude competition unfairly, ...

I guess Windows has improved some over the years, but the list is still pretty long.
pogson

Jul 06, 2006
6:05 PM EDT
This is in one version of the infamous EULA:

"13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms."

That sounds to me that the initial user/licensor is permitted to remove it and shove everything to someone else but the second guy has to keep it forever....

The next clause does state that M$FT may terminate the agreement and the user must destroy all copies, but no where does it state that the user has the right to terminate... very strange. I prefer the GPL, any version.
dtfinch

Jul 06, 2006
9:52 PM EDT
"insist on the same application opening a file as created the file" Windows doesn't do that.

"taking two clicks to do anything" You can configure Explorer so that single clicking opens a file, but it's easier to make mistakes that way.

"take 30s to give out an IP address" You've misconfigured something.
grouch

Jul 06, 2006
10:02 PM EDT
Calling home to report to its master your hard drive serial number and other information -- GNU/Linux doesn't do that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!