freedom 3

Story: The Value of Free SoftwareTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
grouch

Jul 12, 2006
7:19 AM EDT
Congrats, Don!

You used freedom 3 - The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits. Shreyas Srinivasan used freedom 2 - The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs. And now, you're using freedom 1 - The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor. Your neighbors can then use the same freedom 0 with which you started - The freedom to run the program, for any purpose. All of those freedoms naturally depend on access to the source code.

That's a whole lot of freedom for so cheap a price.
dcparris

Jul 12, 2006
8:33 AM EDT
We'll be supporting more projects in the future. I'm setting aside a special fund for this purpose.
ExWindowsUser

Jul 12, 2006
9:41 AM EDT
BRAVO!

Very nice article, and inspiration for the rest of us end-users who may exercise these very same freedoms. The more that we collectively assert these freedoms and share what we've done, the more our community will grow by attracting others away from the restrictions of proprietary software.

Thank You!
dek

Jul 12, 2006
10:55 AM EDT
I found a workaround for this very problem. It involved going into the settings and changing the setting for leaving the messages on the server, closing the settings, retrieving the messages and then resetting that particular settting. Not a big deal since I only do it like once a week. Even so, this bug fix will be nice in that I won't have to do that anymore!!

Thanks!!!

Don K.
dcparris

Jul 12, 2006
11:30 AM EDT
> I found a workaround for this very problem. It involved going into the settings and changing the setting for leaving the messages on the server, closing the settings, retrieving the messages and then resetting that particular settting.

It was still kind of a pain in the neck though.
tuxchick2

Jul 12, 2006
11:36 AM EDT
Yup. Those are the kinds of boring, repetitive chores that computers excel at, leaving us to do the brainy, creative stuff.

Well, the first is true anyway.... :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!