Untitled

Story: The Value of Free SoftwareTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
tuxchick2

Jul 12, 2006
7:30 AM EDT
"With Evolution, you can choose to either leave the messages on the server or delete them. If you choose to leave them, you'll have to delete them manually on your own. I want Evolution to delete them automatically after a week, or maybe two weeks.

"Evolution's POP client was an all-or-nothing proposition. Although I didn't know it at the time, this feature has been listed in Evolution's Bugzilla system for at least five years. Apparently, it was a really low-priority item in the minds of most Evolution developers. Some thought a POP client should not try to be an IMAP client. Most responses to the feature request seemed to say something to the effect of "fat chance of that ever happening".

And this is an example of why I crab about Gnome devs so much! The automatically-delete-from-the-server-after-foo-days has been a standard feature in nearly all other POP clients since forever, like Eudora, the Lookout twins, Pegasus, Mozilla, and Opera. Some of them have additional features, like "keep only the last x number of messages."

Good on you for taking the initiative and getting this fixed, and for releasing it to the world. A sterling example of Free Software protecting users from vendor follies.

wind0wsr3fund

Jul 12, 2006
8:21 AM EDT
This is exactly how I saw to it that Sieve support was added to DBMail 2.1x. Good work!
dcparris

Jul 12, 2006
1:39 PM EDT
> And this is an example of why I crab about Gnome devs so much!

I feel your pain!
sbergman27

Jul 12, 2006
2:32 PM EDT
> And this is an example of why I crab about Gnome devs so much!

Well, there are things to crab about in Gnome, though I think that in general they do a pretty good job.

But as Gnome apps go, Evolution is probably the easiest target for crabbing. I've always had the impression that Evolution was rather separate from Gnome. I know it used to be a "Ximian thing" that used Gnome rather than an integral part of Gnome. Not sure what the status is now that Ximian is Novell.

But I hear you. Imap is slow. Filters and junk tests don't get applied to imap. My clients who use it call me and say they can't get it to come up and I have to kill their process that's still hund out there. Whereas Thunderbird is one process, Evolution has to start a slew of them with incomprehensible command lines. I could go on and on.

And it just feels clunky. I only use it when my clients need the calendar and other stuff that it drags along. If and when Sunbird is ever finished (One gets the impression that Sunbird is the Cinderella of the Mozilla family.), I probably will not use it at all.

dcparris

Jul 12, 2006
3:58 PM EDT
I hate Mozilla's address book. I hate their calendar too. The address book needs to be beefed up a bit, and the calendar... well it needs lots of things. I would be thrilled to use the Mozilla suite, but as of now, Firefox is my browser and that's as far as it goes.

I like the look/feel of Evolution. I loathe their decision to remove the RSS feed. That sucked big time. That was what initially attracted me to it. But then, I long for the return of GNOME 1.4, and the awesome flexibility I had with the UI.
sbergman27

Jul 12, 2006
5:06 PM EDT
Your are obviously much more into organization than I am. My idea of the perfect address book begins and ends with being able to right click on an email address and have that address inserted into the book. I don't care about anyone's name, geographical address, or phone number. And everyone has gotten used to my forgetting their birthdays anyway. I sometimes forget my own. ;-)
tuxchick2

Jul 12, 2006
5:35 PM EDT
"I long for the return of GNOME 1.4, and the awesome flexibility I had with the UI." Don, me too. Plus it was easy to learn some simple GTK hacks to really go nuts with personal customizations and fun shortcuts. That was the Last Good Gnome.
dcparris

Jul 12, 2006
5:40 PM EDT
I just forget to add the birthday info in the field. :-( But I frequently use more than just the one or two phone fields in Mozilla.
shreyas

Jul 12, 2006
9:54 PM EDT
>>I like the look/feel of Evolution. I loathe their decision to remove the RSS feed. That sucked big >>time. That was what initially attracted me to it. But then, I long for the return of GNOME 1.4, and >>the awesome flexibility I had with the UI.

I am working with a guy called Andrew Case to re introduce rss feed support into evolution. He is doing all the work, i just mentor him once in a while. I think it should be available soon enough.
grouch

Jul 12, 2006
10:03 PM EDT
Hey, is that *the* Shreyas from the article? If so, thanks for taking on that feature request job and making it a reality! As Don pointed out, there appear to be a lot of folks who wanted it but couldn't get it to happen.
shreyas

Jul 13, 2006
12:17 PM EDT
Grouch: Yeah, its the same Shreyas. Its no big deal really, just doing my job like everyone here. I am glad it will help all of you.
dcparris

Jul 13, 2006
12:44 PM EDT
TC: > Don, me too. Plus it was easy to learn some simple GTK hacks to really go nuts with personal customizations and fun shortcuts. That was the Last Good Gnome.

I had 1.4 with SUSE 8.0 Pro. When I migrated to SUSE 9.2, I experienced culture shock. Even though the GNOME Control Center was kind of flaky in 1.4, it actually allowed so much customization. The way it was laid out was quite sensible, too.

Shreyas: Welcome to LXer! I am soooo looking forward to the return of the RSS reader! Thanks for letting us know. I'm waiting with 'baited breath'. :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!