Understanding competence in the Open World

Story: The Value of Free SoftwareTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
shreyas

Jul 12, 2006
10:01 PM EDT
Don: One of the things which should help independent users develop a fair amount of trust about people they are hiring is to interact with the community.

As a FOSS developer what we care deeply about is acceptance in the community. So if you want to judge the capabalities of a person before hiring him you should ideally drop into the community channel (#evolution on irc in this case) and talk to a few people. The coolest thing about being a FOSS developer is that everything i have done is out in the open and a few searches away.

Nice article, I sent it to the FOSS community in India too. I think the freedom to address your own pain points either by hiring people or by diving right in and fixing it yourself is one of the greatest strengths of FOSS.
grouch

Jul 12, 2006
10:11 PM EDT
shreyas: >"The coolest thing about being a FOSS developer is that everything i have done is out in the open and a few searches away."

There it is. Imagine interviewing a former MS coder and asking to see all the code he or she produced that is in use. I don't think you'd get the deer-in-the-headlights reaction from a FOSS coder.

The benefits and advantages of FOSS just keep piling up, from developer through to the user and beyond. Well beyond.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!