fedora linux core 5 hangs in boot step, please help

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 33
Author Content
ravifrequent

Jul 13, 2006
6:28 PM EDT
hi,

i installed fedore core 5 linux in my laptop. i was pretty surprised it installed with so ease. but now im unable to log into fedora linux.

i am hung in this step of the linux boot

"kernal panic - not syncing:attempted to kill init!" and gives panic, do_exit, do_munmap, sys_exit_group, syscall_call

i tried setting apm=off and acpi=off in the boot command but still hangs at that step.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT ALSO PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks
ravifrequent

Jul 13, 2006
7:17 PM EDT
im using 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 kernel
grouch

Jul 13, 2006
7:33 PM EDT
I've never used Fedora, but some folks who post here, do. Even so, you might check at LinuxQuestions.org (see the link in the lower right-hand side of every LXer page). See also http://www.linux-laptop.net and look up your laptop model to find a HOWTO by someone who made a successful install.

A kernel panic most often comes from either a badly compiled kernel (for example, not including support for the root filesystem, nor in an initrd) or lying to the kernel about where to find the root filesystem. ;o) In this case, it doesn't look like either of those apply.

Jonathan Corbet at LWN.net wrote an article just this week about his Fedora Development box doing some crazy things while upgrading. That's to be expected with bleeding edge stuff such as he is using, though.
sbergman27

Jul 13, 2006
7:34 PM EDT
The interesting bit would be right above the "kernel panic" message. What's above that?
tuxchick2

Jul 13, 2006
8:03 PM EDT
ravifrequent, is this a multi-boot box? FC5 does not play nicely with other operating systems.
ravifrequent

Jul 13, 2006
10:14 PM EDT
ya i have windows xp preinstalled, i installed fedora core 2 last year and it works fine till yesterday . now i got fedora core5 and upgraded the fedora. then only i got this error.

i tried adding 2 separate lines in the bootloader also, for

chroot /mnt/sysimage mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.15-1.2054.img

still unsuccessfull.
grouch

Jul 13, 2006
10:43 PM EDT
I would get flamed to ashes for suggesting Debian or a Debian derivative at this point, wouldn't I?
ravifrequent

Jul 13, 2006
11:21 PM EDT
i tried to go in rescue mode and gave the options,

chroot /mnt/sysimage mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.15-1.2054.img

but still it hangs at that position. also i found one thing in the booting steps.

it says not "no fstab.sys found, switching to defaults". this step comes before "kernal panic - not syncing:attempted to kill init!"

is there some problem in that ??

thanks
grouch

Jul 13, 2006
11:31 PM EDT
What in the world is fstab.sys? I know of /etc/fstab, which is the standard file to hold static information about the filesystems to be mounted.
NoDough

Jul 14, 2006
5:34 AM EDT
Found this message...

>Okay, First off thanks to everyone for speedy replies.

Secondly, I've solved the problem.

The mkdevroot failure was a lilo problem. As soon as I went back to using grub, the problem went away and my Linux loaded, as expected. So I then immediately tried my old trick of "dd if=/dev/hda of=/tmp/linux_boot.img bs=512 count=1", to take a "snapshot" of the first part of the boot sector so my Windows disk could then refer to that in its boot.ini; c:linux_boot.img="Core 5".....

However, this didn't work.

So, some more searching found that when using the NTLDR as your boot manager, you have to have the Linux AND the Windows partitions on the same disk, if you want to use grub. But I know this is not the case with Lilo, as I've set up lilo for a second disk in the past without problems.....Windows on one, linux on another and Windows booting linux.

However, the key seems to have a separate /boot partition and to install your boot manager into that, NOT the MBR of the target disk. Then taking the 512 dd works....

So, now I've got Windows and Linux on the same disk, and Windows is in control of the MBR. I've always found this the safest thing to do, as I've had some bad experiences a few years ago. Admittedly, grub was young back then.

If anyone can confirm a working lilo-22.7 /etc/lilo.conf, that would be awesome, but in all honesty, I'm happier with grub as it's much nicer (/boot/grub/grub.conf, changes are less hassle)....

... in this thread: http://readlist.com/lists/redhat.com/fedora-list/26/132411.h...

It may point to a solution for you.
sbergman27

Jul 14, 2006
5:44 AM EDT
Sounds like the install just flubbed it to me.

Well, I used to be a big Fedora fan but I dropped it when their QA, which was iffy from the day FC1 was released, started taking a dive around FC4. I left it because things didn't work and the Fedora dev's didn't care about anything but FCx+1 after FCx was released. Ubuntu has done a lot of extra work on things like suspend for laptops. But just so I don't come off as a big Ubuntu fan, SUSE has a reputation for "just working" on a wide range of hardware, including laptops.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time fiddling with FC these days. If you are really wanting something in the redhat line, try CentOS 4. It's the community supported version of RHEL4 and is of very high quality.

-Steve
ravifrequent

Jul 14, 2006
10:17 PM EDT
hi i tried to do complete install fc5 this time, rather than upgrade fedora core. so it installed fine and also i was able to login into fedora !!. now things look fine !!!!

now i have another problem. i have few setup files like realplayer and firefox browser setups. i want to install it. but when i double click those .bin and .sh files its not installing. how shud i install those setups.

pls help me .

thanks
sbergman27

Jul 15, 2006
6:10 PM EDT
ravifrequent,

I'm probably going to come off sounding like a hopeless Ubuntu-head here. But I'm getting the impression that you might be better off with Ubuntu.

Have a look at http://www.ubuntuforums.org

The Ubuntu community is better suited to newer users than the Fedora community and the forum is excellent. I think you would find it extremely helpful.

Others here might have their own recommendations. But that would be my best one.
jimf

Jul 15, 2006
6:31 PM EDT
I've also got to say that ravi would be much better served by asking these questions at a site that specializes in help for new users. I know that linuxcompatible has several very knowledgeable users who are running Fedora. He might try there.

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/
jdixon

Jul 16, 2006
8:32 AM EDT
> i have few setup files like realplayer and firefox browser setups. i want to install it. but when i double click those .bin and .sh files its not installing. how shud i install those setups.

The files are probably not set to be executable. I don't use or support FC, so I can't tell you much more than that, unless you want to adventure to the command line.
grouch

Jul 16, 2006
8:50 AM EDT
jdixion:

The nature of the question makes me believe sbergman27 and jimf are right to point ravifrequent to another distribution or another, specialized help site.

I don't see someone who thinks you double-click on a .bin as being a person who should be beta testing for Red Hat.
sbergman27

Jul 16, 2006
9:18 AM EDT
Grouch,

Beta testing for RedHat? Shame on you! That's not true and you know it.

Fedora *used* to be a perpetual beta for RedHat up through about FC3. But today, it is a perpetual *alpha* test for RedHat.

I do wish people would stop spreading disinformation on that subject.
jdixon

Jul 16, 2006
9:19 AM EDT
> I don't see someone who thinks you double-click on a .bin as being a person who should be beta testing for Red Hat.

Agreed.
grouch

Jul 16, 2006
10:00 AM EDT
Oops. I'm obsolete.
tuxchick2

Jul 16, 2006
10:17 AM EDT
> I don't see someone who thinks you double-click on a .bin as being a person who should be beta testing for Red Hat.

Everyone was a noob once, gotta start somewhere!
ravifrequent

Jul 22, 2006
1:14 AM EDT
hi, i am able to login into linux and i also configured internet. i have a problem in my internet connection in fedora linux. i was trying to check for my software updates, and it started fine but then the system did not respond so i tried to restart my system. so after restarting i tried to connect to my service provider it says the user already connected. when i try to logout and again login it still says user logged in. but im not able to browse any webpages in linux. it says page not found.

then i tried to log onto windows and logged to my service provider and logged off, hoping that i will have logged off in linux also. when i tried to log into linux and connect to my service provider. it still said the same message user already logged in.

when i put

./crclient -u in the command prompt in my linux it says

./crclient: user already logged in with process id 4085

this i what i see in the command prompt

for my confirmation, i put "ps" command to see what process is running. but i did not see the process id 4085 at all. does it happen like that process is running in my Internet service providers server ??? is that possible ? its not showing in my linux so it shud run in my ISP server right ?? how do i solve my problem ?

please help me
Sander_Marechal

Jul 22, 2006
2:34 AM EDT
I've seen a similar message on my Debian box (kernel panic - attempted to kill init.d). It was caused by faulty HDD enumeration. I'll explain what happened to me. Maybe it'll help you solve your problem.

My server has a PCI IDE RAID card and CD player. The CD player was switched off in the BIOS. The IDE RAID was on /dev/hda. Then I wanted to repartition my hard drive. I switched on the CD player in BIOS and started the GParted Live CD. I repartitioned /dev/hda and rebooted. Kernel panic.

After long searching I found that this was caused by the CD player being switched on. On the Live CD the raid was on /dev/hda, but when booting from HDD the CD player would be /dev/hda and the RAID would be /dev/hdc. Probabely because it's powered by a PCI card instead of on-board IDE (which had my CD player).

Turning the CD player off in BIOS made the RAID /dev/hda again and solved it.

You might want to check your HDD enumeration and see if everything is allright.
NoDough

Jul 24, 2006
5:57 AM EDT
This is just a guess, but you might want to browse your filesystem and check for leftover lock files in /var/lock/. If you see one with a name like LCK..ttyS0 or similar, then delete it and try connecting to the Internet again.
ravifrequent

Aug 04, 2006
10:45 PM EDT
hi i tried to talk to my ISP and they said that i need not connect to their server with the username and password and that i can directly browse website in my linux. but what happens is that for first 10-15 seconds i can browse the websites. after that im not able to browse webpages. it says page not found.

when i did some investigation what happens is that the /etc/resolv.conf file in which i have set the DNS server settings is getting changed to some ip 10.0.0.1

so when the resolve.conf file is changed to 10.0.0.1 im not able to browse any webpages. so when i edit this to the DNS server settings which my ISP has given im able to browse webpages, again only for 10-15 seconds.

why do i get this problem. ?

any suggestions please ?

thanks
grouch

Aug 04, 2006
11:03 PM EDT
It sounds like you have a DHCP misconfiguration problem. I'm not sure what tools Fedora provides for dealing with that, but you should be able to find out something by looking in your /etc directory. Look for something like /etc/dhcp3

Check your Fedora documentation for info about DHCP.
cyber_rigger

Aug 04, 2006
11:38 PM EDT
Here's my shot in the dark.

Do you have 1 gig of memory or more?

I've seen some machines-kernel combinatons don't like 1 gig and greater.

If this is the case can you try it with 512 megs of memory?
ravifrequent

Aug 05, 2006
12:55 AM EDT
mine is 512 mb ram
grouch

Aug 05, 2006
2:12 AM EDT
The changing of /etc/resolv.conf without you manually editing it indicates it is being changed by DHCP.

If you can't find information about it in Fedora forums, try this:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DHCP/index.html
cyber_rigger

Aug 05, 2006
10:17 AM EDT
Will it boot a run-live CD like Knoppix etc.?
ravifrequent

Aug 05, 2006
6:24 PM EDT
i have ubuntu live cd with me and i can use it. but what change does it do to my internet connectivity ? i have my fedora core 5 installed in my PC. what do u suggest me to do to boot from my ubuntu live cd ?

thanks
cyber_rigger

Aug 05, 2006
7:21 PM EDT
I'm assuming you can boot from a CD but can't boot from your hard drive.

You could have a bad spot on your hard drive. This has happened to me before even on a brand new drive.

Can you try an install with a different hard drive?

If a different drive DOES work, then I'd guess that you had a bad drive or a bad install.

If a different drive DOESN'T work then I'd guess FC5 doesn't like your hardware. I would try a different distro.

FWIW I once had a drive that kept acting strange (failed installs). I forced it to use LBA access (rombios setting) I repartitioned it, reinstalled, and it worked fine.
NoDough

Aug 07, 2006
9:16 AM EDT
cyber_rigger:

I think you misunderstand. He is having trouble browsing the web after connecting to his ISP. His machine is booting fine.

ravifrequent:

I'm not very familiar with Fedora, but you could try this. Edit the /etc/resolv.conf file to contain the appropriate DNS servers. Now type the command...

chmod 444 /etc/resolv.conf

...that should change the /etc/resolv.conf file to a state that does not allow it to be changed by DHCP. Not sure if this will work in your distribution, but I've used this trick in the past on a Gentoo installation.
cyber_rigger

Aug 07, 2006
10:41 AM EDT
"He is having trouble browsing the web after connecting to his ISP."

What happens if you run one of these (as root): pump, dhclient, dhcpcd, dhcpxd ?
sam

Aug 31, 2006
9:59 AM EDT
hi can ny body help me ,i installed fedora core-5 properly and now when i start it i'm not able to reach up to login section,it get stuck while opening(mouse and key board is not working at the point it stucks).

most probably this is the version of my fedora 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 kernel.

You cannot post until you login.