Nice article

Story: Overhauled CUPS: Improved Unix PrintingTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
sbergman27

Jul 14, 2006
12:24 PM EDT
There has been discussion lately of what stories are appropriate for LXer. Don has mentioned that he feels that LXer has "hit its stride" and I agree.

But just to get my vote in, these are the articles that I really, really like. The IBM Developer stories are good, too, but you tend to have to be really interested in "Implementing an SOA architecture using Tomcat and SOAP with an OCAML Glue Layer" or whatever other tiny-fonted article of the day they are featuring.

These articles are really *useful* to the average Penguinista in the trenches.
jimf

Jul 14, 2006
1:32 PM EDT
I agree, Carla's done a nice article, but I still think cups and Gutenprint are anything but intuitive to set up. Personally I find it no easier to set up than when I did it the first time three years ago. I'm hoping that the latest version will live up to Carla's review.

sbergman27

Jul 14, 2006
1:57 PM EDT
> I'm hoping that the latest version will live up to Carla's review.

Well, if Carla finds something that she doesn't like, she will usually mention it. Albeit, a bit timidly. ;-)
jimf

Jul 14, 2006
3:17 PM EDT
I checked, and, I do have 1.2.1-3 which is the latest cups in Debian testing. It seems to work fine, but then it did before. Hard to tell if any of the initial install stuff has improved until I do a Distro install, and I'm not about to do that at this point. I'm not seeing anything real obviously 'improved' right now..

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!