firefox config

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
grouch

Jul 15, 2006
11:45 PM EDT
One of my gripes with Firefox is something that makes it appealing to many folks: It has a very simplified "preferences" menu. Default options are chosen by the developers and not presented on that menu. You have to use "about:config" (without quotes) in the location bar or edit your prefs.js file in order to change these options.

(I continue to use Mozilla, now the Seamonkey project, as my main browser partly for the sensible, extensive preferences menu).

In hopes of getting some tips in exchange, here are some options I prefer, in the format

[Preference Name] [Status] [Type] [Value]:

browser.blink_allowed user set boolean false

image.animation_mode user set string once

network-prefetch-next user set boolean false (see http://lwn.net/Articles/139725/ )
alc

Jul 16, 2006
1:13 AM EDT
I'm not sure about Seamonkey,but you can find some Firefox tips @ http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1854508,00.asp
tuxchick2

Jul 16, 2006
9:50 AM EDT
I don't think that removing user-configurable options is appealing to anyone but the devs, who have this bizarre idea that taking away functionality is a good thing for their poor, confused, backwards users. If I wanted reduced functionality I'd use windoze.

sbergman27

Jul 16, 2006
10:25 AM EDT
Well, Mozilla Suite hobbled along for years and the world never paid it a second glance. Then slimmed down, simplified Firefox came along and gecko usage immediately took off. They're obviously doing something right.

I really wish that software like FF and Gnome would offer user "levels". You could flip one switch in the basic set up and get a different set of functionality exposed in the menu system. It could default to what they have now. But you could set your user level to "advanced" and be right back in the Gnome 1.4 days. This would not even have been hard to do. But nobody does it.
jimf

Jul 16, 2006
10:34 AM EDT
> I really wish that software like FF and Gnome would offer user "levels". You could flip one switch in the basic set up and get a different set of functionality exposed in the menu system. It could default to what they have now. But you could set your user level to "advanced" and be right back in the Gnome 1.4 days. This would not even have been hard to do. But nobody does it.

That's an excelent idea. I have no clue as to how much extra work it would be, but, it sure would eliminate a lot of infighting between experienced users and noobs.
sbergman27

Jul 16, 2006
10:43 AM EDT
As Tuxchick pointed out in another thread, the noobs *become* experienced users, so it also makes the same project more scalable for a single individual.

Oh, and one thing I left out about FF's success which I think is another important factor. Mozilla was cut adrift by AOL. It was sink or swim. They chose to swim. So instead of depending upon an indifferent parent organization for their formal marketting, etc., the Mozilla Foundation had to learn to organize it and do it themselves. And they've gotten *quite* good at it, to FF's extreme benefit.

Compare that with OO.o's condition today.
grouch

Jul 16, 2006
10:46 AM EDT
To go along with an experience level switch, there could be the equivalent of a 'factory reset' switch.

I have remote controls that make more configuration options readily available than FF does.
hkwint

Jul 17, 2006
4:44 AM EDT
accessibility.typeaheadfind user set bool true

Find while you type! Great, no need to press ctrl+f anymore, just start typing.

All other config-stuff is extension-related.

You cannot post until you login.