speaks volumes

Story: Open Source encryption module loses FIPS certificationTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
jsusanka

Jul 18, 2006
4:37 AM EDT
"Weathersby said OpenSSL has been challenged by companies with competing proprietary encryption technologies, and that those challenges are aided by the open-source model, which makes source code for the tools publicly available.

“Now the opposing forces have the luxury of going in and trying to pick us apart,” he said. “That’s fine. That’s fair. This is about dollars and cents. This is not about technology.” "

this speaks volumes - sort of reminds of Massachusetts and odf. hmm-

this should make openssl stronger in the end though. but this makes me wonder about the process and the other proprietary products and how good they actually are.
dinotrac

Jul 18, 2006
6:19 AM EDT
>this should make openssl stronger in the end though

Challenge is the only reliable way to develop security. The open approaches are thus likely to be more secure than proprietary alternatives -- at least in the long run.

Unless, of course, no software company has ever had a disgruntled, dishonest, fired, etc employee.
TPuffin

Jul 18, 2006
10:14 AM EDT
dino,

Well, all the software developers I've ever heard of were highly paid, well respected, and content, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, wait - I forgot to add "... cue dream sequence ..." to the beginning of my post.
tuxchick2

Jul 18, 2006
10:46 AM EDT
Holy SCO, Batman!

"There is a big problem and your butt is grass." "What is the problem?" "If you don't know, we're certainly not going to tell you."
Bob_Robertson

Jul 18, 2006
11:03 AM EDT
#$%^& government. Someone with money got to them and bought them off just like government has always been bought off.

I wonder whose feathers OpenSSL was ruffling the most. Hmmm...
Sander_Marechal

Jul 18, 2006
1:37 PM EDT
Quoting: Holy SCO, Batman!

"There is a big problem and your butt is grass." "What is the problem?" "If you don't know, we're certainly not going to tell you."

I don't think that's the case here. I think that the OpenSSL team does know the reasons and probabely keeps it under wraps untill they issue a patch.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!