RE: HELPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
frustrated_n_ia

Jul 20, 2006
12:09 AM EDT
ok im gonna try to be brief here...lol...My brother installed suse 10.0......I have NO sound at all...Ive tried for three days to figure this out and im starting to feel like im real slow...lol....I cant stand not having my sound.....also...I cant enter chat rooms anymore on yahoo messenger (using kopete)....I know nothing about linux and im very frustrated....Then when someone tries to help me they dont give enough detail so im lost!...I mean telling me to enter a code isnt real helpful considering I have No idea WHERE to enter it nor how...lol...If someone could walk me thru fixing my sound and telling me how to be able to go to chat rooms, It would be greatly appreciated........sigh Dawn : ((
dinotrac

Jul 20, 2006
2:54 AM EDT
Are you using KDE?

If you're not sure, the easiest way to tell is simply to hit the [alt] and [f2] keys at the same time. A little box should pop up called "Run Command". That's a pretty good clue in itself, but an even better clue is the little "K" inside a gear that you see inside the box.

If you are using KDE, you should see a toolbar at the bottom of your screen. If you don't see it, don't worry -- it's probably set for hiding. Just move your cursor to the bottom of the screen and it should show up (I'm assuming your brother hasn't gotten too fancy here). On the far right-hand side of the toolbar, you should see some icons -- little pictures -- just to the left of the time. If your sound is set up and turned on, you should see one that looks like a little loudspeaker. It also looks a little bit like a funnel turned on its side.

If you see the loudspeaker icon:

Put your cursor arrow on the icon.

If your mouse has three buttons (a scroll wheel counts as a button:

click on the center button (you can click the scroll wheel if you have one).

If your mouse has only two buttons and no scroll wheel:

1. click the right button 2. put the cursor over the words "Show mixer window" and click with the left button.

At this point a window should pop up with "kmix" in the title bar and lots of sliders and things. You should see labels like "Master", "Master Mono", "PCM", things like that. If you do not see these things, your system probably does not have it's sound card configured. Skip on down a couple of paragraphs...otherwise: It's probably got these things organized on tabs -- "Output", "Input", and "Switches." I say probably because it varies a bit from version to version and sound-card to sound-card. "Master" and "PCM" will show up on the "Output" tab. Make sure both of them are turned up, and that the little green light picture above the slider is on. Clicking on the picture of the light turns it on and off. You probably want to the same thing for "CD", which could show up on the "Input" tab. There is also one oddball thing that might affect you -- on my computer, I need to make sure that the "DAC" slider is up and the little red light below it is on.

If you do NOT have the little loudspeaker icon

Click on the "K" menu button (on the far left of the toolbar at the bottom of your screen). Select "Multimedia", then "Volume Control", then "Sound Mixer (Kmix)". The mixer screen should show up. Follow the directions above for what to do.

If your sound card is not set up Hit the [alt] and [f2] keys together, just like we did to see if you are using KDE.

When the window pops up, type "yast" into the command line and hit enter. You can also go to yast from the KDE menus, but I always find it easier just to type it in.

A window may pop up asking you to enter the administrator or "root" password.

If you know it

Enter it here.

If you do not know it

Call your brother. Yell at him for not making sure the system was set up properly and not stepping you through the basics. Remind him that we can't all be computer geeks and that it's not fair to leave you stranded with an unfamilar computing experience.. and..oh, yeah -- what is the root password.

Then...once you've got it, enter it into the pop-up box so that you can run yast.

The first window to pop up will be the Yast Control Center. Along the left, you'll see a series of icons with labels like "Hardware", "Software", "System", etc.

Click (left button!!) on the "Hardware" icon. One of the icons in the right hand part of the window should be labeled "Sound". Click on that puppy.

Several things should happen. A window should come up for sound configuration, and, at first,you should see something to the effect that yast is performing sound card initialization.

If the system recognizes your card

the name of your card (or it's basic sound chip type) should show up shortly and be highlighted under the columns "Number" and "Card Model". Click on the "Other" button and select "Volume"

You will get a chance to set volume here (both Master and PCM should be up), but, most important, you will get a "Test" button. Click it and see if you get sound. If you don't , something is wrong that I can't help you with just now, but you will have a lot of info to feed to your brother or to someone else who can help you.

One thing you can try -- if two different sound cards show up, try highlighting the other and testing it.

if the system doesn't recognize your card

you need to powwow with your brother and find out what kind of sound card you've got-- yast recognizes most everything out there. You're also deeper than I can help you with at the moment.

If you were able to get sound in Yast by clicking the "Test" button, but are not getting sound from KDE -- even after setting the mixer right, and all that, you have one more place to look -- This is getting tiresome isn't it -- In the K menu under "Personal Settings" , you will see a choice for Sound and Mutlimedia. That is a good place to play, but I am getting tired fingers and a need to get ready for work. If you end up there, I'm afraid somebody else will have to help you....
multics

Jul 20, 2006
4:03 AM EDT
It *could* help if you post the output of dmesg here (altough this is not really the right site/forum (?)) . For example

prompt> dmesg > dmesg_out.txt

And post dmesg_out.txt here.
SFN

Jul 20, 2006
4:51 AM EDT
Dino,

Quoting:the easiest way to tell is simply to hit the and keys at the same time.

That happened a couple of times. No keys shown.

Dawn,

Hold tight to what dinotrac is telling you. If more people start jumping in, just stick with dinotrac. Too many people telling you what to do can really screw things up.
grouch

Jul 20, 2006
5:44 AM EDT
I heartily second SFN's warning. Don't try to follow the advice of everyone who offers it. If dinotrac goofs somewhere, someone will likely spot it and tell ~him~ and he can relay it to you.
dinotrac

Jul 20, 2006
6:07 AM EDT
SFN & Grouch --

Good advice....

If, however, she reaches a point where it is determined that her sound card is screwy, etc, I will feel no pain at someone jumping in.

I would just like her to try a few basics to help identify what kind of animal we're hunting.
grouch

Jul 20, 2006
6:16 AM EDT
Don't be trying to find wiggle room, dinotrac. Remember Sam Clemens and the riverboat pilots. We're all sitting around, ready and willing to point out all the snags that all the advisors of the past have ever ripped the ship's belly on, and all the sandbars upon which anyone has ever run aground. Mind your boiler pressure, mate, I recall one horrendous explosion that rained body parts and cabin splinters for nigh onto ten mile and 2 days.
SFN

Jul 20, 2006
6:29 AM EDT
Isn't a little early to be drinking?
cyber_rigger

Jul 21, 2006
11:29 PM EDT
With Debian and Ubuntu you can install a package called alsa-utils.

Then, as root (or sudo), run this command.

alsaconf

This will reconfigure the sound.

I don't think SuSE uses this though.

http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=18733&st=0&p=1...
herzeleid

Jul 25, 2006
3:16 PM EDT
Suse has been including alsoconf for some years, it's part of the standard install -

You cannot post until you login.