But then, you already knew that.
jimf

Jul 20, 2006
8:00 PM EDT
Hey, got to spread the FUD.
grouch

Jul 20, 2006
8:09 PM EDT
McAfee is a smart parasite. It recognizes that its host is not viable. It recognizes that "open source" is replacing that host and does not support such parasites. Therefore, it must try to make people afraid of "open source" and slow the stampede until it can figure out another host to ride.

Is it too late for them to provide services, which are not dependent on the incompetent monopolist, to software users? Or, are they hopelessly on track to trash their credibility as thoroughly as their sleazy host has done?
jimf

Jul 20, 2006
8:28 PM EDT
McAfee is only one of a host of cottage industries that have sprung up around MS. At least they offer a more or less straight forward service. Crap like AOL are probably even worse, turning a whole system int a virus. In one way this demonstrates a demented version of the best of business ingenuity. Very sad.
grouch

Jul 20, 2006
8:41 PM EDT
jimf:

Symantec and McAfee both have been putting out their share of disinformation regarding GNU/Linux and open source. I don't understand why they don't recognize that MS is well into the stage of swallowing the virus business for itself. I don't understand why they are not looking for real service they can provide GNU/Linux users, instead of trying to create a fake one or retard the spread of GNU/Linux.
jimf

Jul 20, 2006
8:50 PM EDT
Well, Symantec has other skills so I agree with you there. McAfee.... is really a one pony show. Chalk it up to lack of imagination, poor judgement and bad management... Whatever, one can see the writing on the wall, they're history.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 21, 2006
11:39 AM EDT
Trend Micro has their no-cost housecall service http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ running on JRE under Linux, I've been using it to scan "auto-run" disks before putting them into my wife's Win2K box. She's Chinese, and I don't fully trust her sources for software. Imagine that.

Seems to work ok, hasn't found anything yet, not sure it ever will.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!