FOSS is essential.

Story: Microsoft buys Sysinternals, WinternalsTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
r_a_trip

Jul 21, 2006
11:33 AM EDT
Another independent bites the dust. It's in Microsoft's interests to roll out the welcome mat to corporate spyware. Now there is one less set of critical eyeballs on the Evil Empire...Carla

This is why FOSS is so essential, especially the kind with strong copyleft licenses. They can't be bought and they are immune against Embrace, Extend, Extinguish.

So Microsoft took the opportunity to get rid of the plumbing inspector. Well, I can't really be bothered. Using Windows is a voluntary choice, warts and all. No, there is nothing keeping you from ditching it. If you don't ditch it, you just want it.

If you really want to use something else, no amount of lost money in Windows software, no amount of lost gaming candy or lost time with learning a new OS will stop you. Ask Erny Ball. Ask me. If you really want to, you will. All else is making excuses to keep Windows on your machine.
grouch

Jul 21, 2006
11:48 AM EDT
r_a_trip:

But *cough* I really *hack* really *choke* enjoy *gasp* my smoke in the morning.

Oh, wait, different addiction. Never mind.
r_a_trip

Jul 21, 2006
12:27 PM EDT
I don't think it is an addiction, it is more like lemming behavior (the folklore tale of jumping over the cliff). What if the Joneses feel better about themselves if you don't use what they are using? It really isn't about making informed choices.

The only thing going for MS and their wares is a large userbase and peer pressure. There is a weird belief that the world will end if we all stop supporting our oppressor and choose Freedom and diversity.

Why should we all be using the same OS anyways? Isn't that completely communistic?

But protecting and defending your aggressor is symptomatic of something called Stockholm Syndrome. Maybe all the hapless victims need psychological support to overcome their trauma ;)
tuxchick2

Jul 21, 2006
12:34 PM EDT
r_a_trip, you're right, it's not just software. It's pathologies. :)
rht

Jul 21, 2006
3:56 PM EDT
I think we may be looking at the *problem* from a viewpoint too narrow. Is it that we are so familiar with the stories and rumours that abound regarding the Oil Cartel's purchasing (and then burying) of inventions that save fuel that we automatically believe that this *must* happen when software applications are bought out by proprietary interests?

Sure, this happens all the time when the Borg applies its "embrace, extend, extinguish" policy to closed source software.

But, this CAN'T HAPPEN with FOSS. A FOSS application can not be killed off or buried -- at most, its further development may be slowed down for a while. But if it is a useful application someone else will take over development -- and no one can prevent the take over, not even the new "owners".

So, let the Evil Empire buy up Open Source software. They may think that their largesse is poisoned; I think it's manna.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!