Live like you were dying

Story: Lobby4Linux Founder Battles IllnessTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
dinotrac

Jul 22, 2006
3:54 AM EDT
When Tug McGraw, former pitcher for the New York Mets, learned that he had brain cancer, he began looking for the best doctors he could find. Anyone would. But it's the extra step that makes a difference - he funded a foundation to help others. His outlook and his actions inspired his son, Tim McGraw, to write a huge hit song, "Live Like You Were Dying" that went on to inspire millions more.

We know about Tug and Tim. We can see the things they created, the dollars raised, the albums sold. But the anonymous millions...that's where the real work gets done, one by one and one on one.

In our star-obsessed world, we tend to overlook the incredible impact each and every one of us has on the lives of those around us.

My mother is convinced that I got my kid brother to college by taking him to a Texas Rangers baseball game. His father got tickets all the time, but never took him. I did. They were playing the Yankees and we got to see Reggie Jackson stick a fork in the Rangers. Bought him some goofy game souvenir. Had a great time.

Big deal.

Except that Michael decided to go out for his baseball team. Wasn't real good, but enjoyed being on the team. When Texas passed it's "No pass, no play" law, Michael hit the books to avoid being kicked off the team. He brought his grades up enough to stay on the team -- and to be accepted into college.

Who knew? Ken - helios -

I know that you've touched friends and family in ways you can't know or even imagine. And you touch them still.

I know that the internet has given you friends you've never even met, yet you've touched us, too. And touch us still.

History teaches that humanity is a frail condition. Our bodies let us down. Our passions whither. Our courage fails.

Your passion and your courage inspire each of us, even as your body struggles.

I don't know what God's got planned for you. I pray that he wants you to prove the doctors wrong one more time.

In the meantime, I can't help but think of the lines from Tim McGraw's song, lines I'm sure you understand better than most of us:

and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter and I gave forgiveness Id been denying and he said someday I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying.

Godspeed, friend. Be well.
dcparris

Jul 22, 2006
7:47 AM EDT
This is awesome Dino.
tuxchick2

Jul 23, 2006
8:15 PM EDT
Mass suckage. Nice post, Dino. Get better, Ken!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!