Nice story mix

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
tuxchick2

Jul 26, 2006
2:58 PM EDT
yo lxer editors- I like the story mix that's been appearing lately. Lots of nice FOSS stories, not so many 'we hatess mircoshaft' tales, and new voices are showing up in the talkbacks. Good features, too.
grouch

Jul 26, 2006
4:04 PM EDT
Just after you say that, today's big clicker becomes, "Microsoft's New Home Page Shuns Firefox". Oh, well, we try.

Thanks, tuxchick2. If you ever want to get specific in objections about stories or days or 'posted by', we're developing thick skins. The Evil Editor-in-Chief thinks it's boot camp. He makes us crawl on our bellies over dried-out cacti to 'toughen up'. The worst has to be reading Ballmer and McBride speeches, though. He's just not human.
dinotrac

Jul 26, 2006
5:02 PM EDT
I would like to second the transcendant brilliance of The Chick.

Less strident, more interesting. Good stuff.

It's ok to have Microsoft-related stories. It affects Linux and we're interested.

Just weird for a Linux/FOSS site to be all-Ms all the time.
dcparris

Jul 27, 2006
7:10 AM EDT
Grouch: > He's just not human.

You really know how to butter up the boss!

TuxChick and Dino: We're learning. Thanks for bearing with us!

...Goes off to find AOL commercials to add to boot camp training
grouch

Jul 27, 2006
8:27 AM EDT

help
dcparris

Jul 27, 2006
8:29 AM EDT
What can I say, you inspired me!
grouch

Jul 30, 2006
1:25 AM EDT
tuxchick2:

Since you brought it up... a lot of times I feel like I'm posting too many press releases, or press releases that barely fit. It's hard to tell just what bit of info in those announcements that somebody might need. Comment?
dinotrac

Jul 30, 2006
3:47 AM EDT
grouch:

I think press releases are a tough call.

Obviously, lxer isn't a marketing organ. Equally obviously, lots of announcements get released that will interest people on this site.

From my non-professional journalist standpoint, you need not be overly concerned if you feel no strong urge to run for the shower and wash away the stain.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 30, 2006
5:23 AM EDT
Since LXer is being redesigned anyway, why not replace the "latest newswire" with "latest press releases" and keep the press releases out of the main newswire? That way you can post all the press releases you want.
dinotrac

Jul 30, 2006
5:44 AM EDT
>"latest press releases"

There's good and bad to that, especially since a press release is not a press release is not a press release.

For example --

Red Hat issues a press release explaining its decision to drop Linux and become a Ben and Jerry's franchisee

Microsoft issues a press release announcing that it will release all Office source code under the GPL, and hire 1,000 programmers to clean up its code, ensure that interoperability with ODF is rock-solid, and to meet with developers behind OpenOffice, koffice, Abiword, and others to ensure that everyone has a clear understanding of each other's metaphors, paradigms, etc, so that consumers never have to worry about whose program they are using on their files.

Richard Stallman issues a press release announcing that "Hey!! I got it wrong. Turns out free software is a real pain in the butt. I coulda had a Lamborghini by now if I'd wised up sooner.

Scientists working together from various Antarctic research facilities announce that penguins don't actually like herring, but eat it whenever they can't get Twinkies. In a related note, famed OS developer Linus Torvalds renounces all worldly possessions and moves into a refrigerator box in Santa Monica. "What is there to believe in?" he asks.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 30, 2006
5:51 AM EDT
Well, you could put the original press release in the press release list, and then either write an LXer feature about it, or put someone else's thorough analysis of it in the newswire :-)
sbergman27

Jul 30, 2006
6:19 AM EDT
K.I.S.S.

Just leave the press releases and people who don't like them can ignore them.

And people who *really* don't like them can spam the comments with "WARNING: THIS IS NOT FREE SOFTWARE!!!!!!" threads, which can also be ignored.

dinotrac

Jul 30, 2006
6:20 AM EDT
Cold, Steve. Cold.

Appropriate, but cold.
grouch

Jul 30, 2006
10:33 AM EDT
Cold sounds wonderful at the moment.
dcparris

Jul 30, 2006
10:35 AM EDT
I don't see a need to change what we're doing, beyond trying to provide more original content. That way the press releases get relegated to the graveyard shift, or we just don't have time to run them.
grouch

Jul 30, 2006
10:44 AM EDT
I wasn't asking about any overall change; just whether there were too many press releases coming out 'posted by grouch'. Some days it feels like that's all I post. Nobody opened fire, though, so it seems to be just my own perception.
alc

Jul 30, 2006
10:58 AM EDT
I don't mind the press releases.If it's a company or product that interests me,I'll check it out.If not,I keep scrolling.

You cannot post until you login.