silly [dis]Information

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
grouch

Jul 30, 2006
9:14 PM EDT
I just ran across a "news" story that I wouldn't be able to post on LXer's Newswire with a straight face. The title is goofy enough:

"Analysis: Is The World Ready For Open Source Networking?"

First thing that brought to my fevered mind was, "Have they heard of the Internet?"

Here's where the thing is located: [url=http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=191600128&subSection=All Stories]http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articl...[/url]

I would love to see the dissection and analysis of this "Analysis" by LXer readers.
pogson

Jul 31, 2006
2:06 PM EDT
" Reliability and support are the main concerns"

Yep. That is why most of the places I have worked at since 2000 have used Linux for their serious networking. No kidding. Lots of places that use Windows run firewall/router/DHCP/mail on Linux boxes because of the reliability concerns. Support is rarely an issue. The boxes run for years. I am going to work next week in a place that has a Linux box but there is no one who knows for sure what it does because it has been doing it for 7 years. I will dust it and replace the software, and fans, I guess. It might go another five years.

My first job at the new place will be to add 150 new Linux seats with fail-safe servers for web/DHCP/NFS/mail/MySQL/VOIP/file/print so I do not see where there is much doubt about the reliability of Linux networking solutions. It just works. The Windows boxes will be on borrowed time when folks see the performance they will give as Linux thin clients. The new thin clients will run gigabit/s with multi-seat X.

Networking grew up with UNIX, so it is a natural thing with Linux. I cannot see where the article is coming from except the FUD about security through obscurity which is an illusion. If the network is obscure, you will not see the intruders roaming around it. You get more security by having a clear view out to the perimeter. Reliability is enhanced because the maintainers will actually know what they are doing with a Linux system. Windows will always do what Bill wants. Linux does what we want.

You cannot post until you login.