stupid headline

Story: Fedora seeks women developersTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
tuxchick2

Aug 01, 2006
6:56 AM EDT
Wups, I meant stupid subhead.

It's really amazing that anyone with their head on straight wants anything to do with FOSS, given the high noise ratio, let alone women, who get singled out for special attention. And not of the good kind. The high dork ratio is damaging to the whole community. "Survival of the most obnoxious" is not healthy.

Fortunately, if you can navigate past the idiots you'll find a lot to like, and a lot of great, rewarding opportunities. I think FOSS attracts some of the brightest and most interesting people in tech, who are always pushing the boundaries and inventing cool new stuff. Certain well-known big tech companies can bleat about "innovation" all day, but they don't innovate anything except buzzwords. Real invention comes from talented people doing what they love, without PHB interference.

Anyone who interested in joining the FOSS world in some way, whether it's coding, system and network administration, noob user, howto writer, or whatever you want to do, start at http://linuxchix.org/. Linuxchix is a great community for women who like Linux, and for women and men who want to support women in computing. The Linuxchix TOS is simple: be polite, be helpful. Linuxchix members are all over the world, and do everything from kernel hacking to book writing to hanging out and helping noobs.

Debian-Women http://women.debian.org/ was the first special-purpose women's dev group, and has been a roaring success. Since its inception several women (I forget how many, something like 5) have become Debian maintainers, which is multiples of how many they had before.

KDE-Women, Gnome-Women, and Fedora-Women are all worth checking out, and I think set examples of how healthy communities operate. Ubuntu is pretty good as well, and has more energy and buzz than any other FOSS project.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!