Unknown Host Error

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
questioner

Aug 07, 2006
3:16 PM EDT
hey guys, I have a computer that has debian KDE, but i cannot connect to the internet. Everytime i try it gives me a unknown host error and im not sure what to do. Any suggestions?
jimf

Aug 07, 2006
3:29 PM EDT
what kind of connection do you (or should you) have?
questioner

Aug 07, 2006
3:49 PM EDT
i have a DSL connection. It works fine with my other(windows) computers but not with this one.
herzeleid

Aug 07, 2006
3:57 PM EDT
This sounds like a very simple configuration issue.

What are the exact contents of the file /etc/resolv.conf?
questioner

Aug 07, 2006
3:59 PM EDT
search westlandindustries.com nameserver 10.10.10.1
sbergman27

Aug 07, 2006
4:06 PM EDT
Who's westlandindustries?
herzeleid

Aug 07, 2006
4:08 PM EDT
OK, let's assume for a moment that it can reach 10.10.10.1 - what happens when you type e.g.

nslookup oru.edu

?
questioner

Aug 07, 2006
4:16 PM EDT
haha company i started working for recently.

I must be doing something wrong because it is returning command not found :( It did that with ifconfig, but i used su and then it worked, that doesnt work for this command though.
cyber_rigger

Aug 07, 2006
4:21 PM EDT
I have had ISPs that would lock my leased IP to my mac address. I would have to call them to get a new DHCP lease (with a different network card) if I switched machines.

Have you tried rebooting your DSL modem (power off, power on) before you boot your computer? Sometimes this will force a new DHCP lease for the new mac address.

sbergman27

Aug 07, 2006
4:23 PM EDT
Are you on westandindustries' network now?

What does:

$ ping 72.14.203.99

do? What does:

$ ping google.com

do?

questioner

Aug 07, 2006
4:28 PM EDT
thnx for your help guys, i really appriciate this ^_^

cyber: havnt done that yet, ill try it out if all else fails sber: yes i am, cant reach them. I realized a few seconds ago that i might have set this up with the DMZ (10.10.10.1) so that might be why it wont work with a regular connection >.< if thats the case i should shoot myself. Ill test it out now
questioner

Aug 07, 2006
4:34 PM EDT
omg....that was it. I am a complete idiot! Thanks for all your help guys everything is fine now, sans my inteligence -.-'' You all where every helpful ^_^
pogson

Aug 08, 2006
7:54 PM EDT
I confused myself today, too. I moved my machine from one place to another where I did not need the second ethernet port. I commented out some lines in /etc/network/interfaces and accidentally took out lo !

The machine became schizophrenic. Nothing worked smoothly and there were many long pauses. There was a lapse of time so I forgot about the editing. An hour later, I connected the dots and noticed the lack of lo. I had no dns lookup, desktop gui would not load, lots of irrelevant error messages in the logs, all because I splashed in one too many #s. 8-(

You cannot post until you login.