Hooray for admins! (and a freebsd question)

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
techiem2

Aug 22, 2006
7:06 AM EDT
3.14159265 cheers to the admins for nuking the forum spam. :)

I just did a light freebsd install on a box to setup a frisbee ( http://www.emulab.net/software.php3 ) server. The thing I've noticed that I can't figure out how to fix is when I install a new program and it installs to /usr/local/bin, the system doesn't seem to see it there right away when walking the path, so I have to put in full path to it to run it.

How do I force the system to see new programs added to path directories immediately? Or do I just need to log out and back in (I don't think I tried that). I know rebooting fixes it, but that kinda defeats the purpose of *nix. :)
dinotrac

Aug 22, 2006
7:49 AM EDT
I second the hooray for admins...

Though a bit distrought that all the celebrity gossip featured nary a disclosure relating to GNU or Linux.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 22, 2006
1:48 PM EDT
> How do I force the system to see new programs added to path directories immediately?

The system knows, but your shell doesn't. The default FreeBSD shell caches the location of all binaries on the system so when you type a command it doesn't need to search. You need to frefresh this cache after installing new binaries. I forgot the command but it's probably in the shell's documentation.
techiem2

Aug 22, 2006
2:06 PM EDT
Aaah. Well, I switched the shell to bash, so maybe that will fix it. :)
herzeleid

Aug 22, 2006
3:12 PM EDT
Well, in bash, you would type "hash -r" to refresh the paths...
techiem2

Aug 22, 2006
4:17 PM EDT
aah cool. Ya learn something new every day! :)
dcparris

Aug 23, 2006
9:12 AM EDT
> 3.14159265 cheers to the admins for nuking the forum spam. :)

Sorry to take so long in deleting it all, but I'm stuck with a one-at-a-time approach. Two and a half pages was a lot of spam! That and the fact that I didn't get to it until late in the AM probably seemed like forever. Coming off a weekend-long illness (still not feeling all that great, but definitely better), this round really made my day. :-(

Anyway, glad everyone is happy now! :-)

You cannot post until you login.