non-libre

Story: Centeris Helps Windows, Linux Systems Get AlongTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
TPuffin

Aug 22, 2006
9:30 AM EDT
"The likewise license is non-libre. You mean to tell me someone can't figure out how to make money without tying us to stupid non-libre license terms? - dcparris"

I'm sure it can be done. But it's not what people are used to - yet. They see MS or whoever selling software in pretty boxes with non-libre licences, and they appear to make money at it, so they try to emulate the visibly successful model.

These guys have less excuse, because they are specifically working with Linux and should be seeing see Red Hat, etc. making money from an open source model. From the article's description, this sounds like nice, professionally done software, and they could probably own a great deal of market share easily with less restrictive terms. Perhaps their market, which by definition also deals with Linux, will ask the same question you did.

I'm hoping that as more people get to understand libre and the perils of non-libre licensing, their spending habits will reflect that.
flufferbeer

Aug 22, 2006
11:22 AM EDT
This particular two-part piece by Linux Magazine editor Martin Streicher may shed some light on the varying benefits and perils inherent in the different licensing schemes used by libre and non-libre software: http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-... http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-...

Please note the "five fundamental intents" mentioned in the first part of this particular article in relation to libre vs. non-libre licenses -- the latter license-wording possibly enabling the actual SALE of software binaries.
jimf

Aug 22, 2006
11:36 AM EDT
So are we saying that Linux Magazine is Linux in name only?
dcparris

Aug 22, 2006
12:30 PM EDT
Interesting view presented in the first article. Lessig presents quite a different picture of the struggle in 17th Century England. Funny how history has a way of shaping our perspective.
TPuffin

Aug 23, 2006
4:57 AM EDT
But only if we pay attention.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!