There's An ooBase?

Story: Solved! Converting an OpenOffice.org Calc Sheet to OOBaseTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Aug 27, 2006
10:56 AM EDT
Neat. Learn something new ever day.
dcparris

Aug 27, 2006
11:00 AM EDT
It's an MS Access-styled DB. You can use the embedded HSQL engine, or connect to MySQL and PostgreSQL, etc. It just made my task a whole lot easier. :-)
Rascalson

Aug 27, 2006
5:53 PM EDT
Sooo, how is the weather under that rock Bob? :)
dcparris

Aug 27, 2006
6:52 PM EDT
>Sooo, how is the weather under that rock Bob?

It *does* raise the question of which office suite you use, Bob.
Teron

Aug 28, 2006
3:28 AM EDT
Or, alternatively, he doesn't use a suite at all ;)
dcparris

Aug 28, 2006
5:56 AM EDT
I just thought he might be using the EMACS suite - complete with its word processing, IDE, e-mail/newsgroups, and calendar functionality. I'm not sure about the spreadsheet though. ;-)
Bob_Robertson

Aug 28, 2006
7:16 AM EDT
Hahaha! OpenOffice.org is installed, but I don't use anything other than spreadsheet and documents. Oh, and for displaying powerpoint slides that other people forward around the net.

Since I have no use for a database program, I've never gone looking for one.

The last database I utilized was FoxBase, running on Win3.1.
dcparris

Aug 28, 2006
8:42 AM EDT
:-)
jimf

Aug 28, 2006
9:00 AM EDT
Umm, OO... I've never been very happy with the Open Office suite. I think the interface sucks, and the bloat is amazing. I will say that the speed and load time have gotten much better, but I'd still love to 'dump the pig'... I once thought that koffice was going to amount to something, but that too seems to have gone off on a tangent.

I review different apps at intervals to see how they're progressing, and although I like the KDE interface, lately I find that some of the GTK stuff is getting pretty darn good and quite usable in KDE. In particular abiword and gnumeric are coming along nicely with minimal bloat, maximum speed, a clean control interface, and, a lot of functionality. gnumeric definitely beats the other spreadsheets hands down. I think that these are going to end up being what I use on a day to day basis.

As far as a Database, a combination of knoda and either sqlite, or, mysql is pretty hard to beat. If you haven't tried it, you should.
dcparris

Aug 28, 2006
9:28 AM EDT
I was planning on connecting OOo to PostgreSQL. I want to be able to easily import my data into an office document. I must confess, I wouldn't mind trying Knoda with PostGreSQL as a management tool. In fact, I've been pondering which tool I should use on my Ubuntu.
jimf

Aug 28, 2006
9:47 AM EDT
I know there is a PostgreSQL driver for knoda.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!