Kind of sad

Story: React OS: Windows done rightTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
jimf

Sep 01, 2006
8:57 AM EDT
This project strikes me as a horrible waste of resources in the pursuit of perversion. I can see the fascination in reverse engineering the interface, but, I just don't get why one would bother to do this. Kind of sad really...
nalf38

Sep 01, 2006
9:33 AM EDT
That, and the fact that 'the difference' between ReactOS and Windows, right now, is that Windows actually works. And this coming from a Linux user.
tuxchick2

Sep 01, 2006
9:49 AM EDT
Really? I find it quite interesting because it's the one and only direct Windows alternative. Think of all the interchangeable consumer products: you can mix n match parts from a multitude of competing vendors. Like any drill bit fits any drill, and mundane things like pen and paper, and all the parts that go into building your house, and car owners have a huge aftermarket to select parts and accessories from. Only in the Windows world is there only one choice.

If ReactOS ever reaches usability, imagine the potential impact of an operating system than can run unmodified Windows applications. Windows and MS Office are Microsoft's two big cash cows, and with a couple of exceptions their only profitable products. Take away Windows, and that's going to hurt.

Additionally, as an open source OS the potential for new and better applications is there as well. Windows devs are handicapped and victimized by the horrible hidden Windows architecture. The potential for a whole new generation of secure, efficient applications is pretty exciting. Linux isn't sacred- I welcome any quality FOSS operating system.
jimf

Sep 01, 2006
10:34 AM EDT
> Take away Windows, and that's going to hurt.

So, you perceive this as a way to 'break' MS? I'm not sure that will work, and wonder whether it's worth it anyway.
tuxchick2

Sep 01, 2006
10:47 AM EDT
jimf, breaking MS would be a nice side effect. :) The market implications are rather stunning to think about- MS has been getting away with abusing its monopoly powers for years, and vendors have showered us with excuses why they don't support other platforms, when the real reason is collusion with Redmond. What happens if a genuine drop-in alternative to Windows shows up? Suddenly all those excuses go out the window.

Then what happens? Well, in my fevered imaginings big PC vendors like Dell go "feh, now we put ReactOS on our consumer boxes. It's free, we'll kick a few bucks back towards supporting it, and now my dear Mr. Steve you will grant us these concessions." Or independent vendors can finally be competitive without paying the Windows tax, or being punished for not toeing the Redmond party line. The short story is, all the good things that come with genuine competition start happening.

But the main thing is having a quality FOSS OS to run Windows applications on, and finally some hope for some genuine competition and diversity. Don't forget there are a lot of FOSS apps for Windows, and if ReactOS succeeds that will inspire a lot more. It's a lot of ifs at this stage, but the possibilities are pretty darn cool.
jimf

Sep 01, 2006
11:14 AM EDT
tuxchick,

You may be correct. I guess what I'm saying is that I really find no positive value in this one. If anything, it takes away from Linux, so, It's nothing I'm going to cheer about. My focus is on Linux.
wjl

Sep 01, 2006
3:10 PM EDT
tc2: "...imagine the potential impact of an operating system than can run unmodified Windows applications." Hmmm... tc2: "What happens if a genuine drop-in alternative to Windows shows up?" I think if you want to achieve this goal, you're actually building a second flaky, unstable, and insecure system. Who would really want Active-X and such? Certainly not me... The "look and feel", which gives users that familiar feeling? Come on - isn't that just a lame excuse? They had to learn everything new when migrating from 3.11 to 95 or NT, and they will again when migrating to Office12. A good chance IMHO to show the free alternatives - and why not with *their* native look and feel? Sorry Carla, but I think I have to back Jim here. At least I feel somehow similar...
tuxchick2

Sep 01, 2006
3:19 PM EDT
wjl, why assume it will inherit all of Windows' flaws? Windows is such a rickety patchworked piece of junk that even the most ardent Redmond-lovers have been saying for years that it needs a ground-up rewrite. I don't think that even genius programmers could duplicate such a dysfunctional piece of kludgework, even if they could be persuaded to try. :)

Not sure I understand why you're opposed to the idea of a Free windows clone. To me it makes perfect sense.
Libervis

Sep 01, 2006
3:20 PM EDT
tuxchick2:
Quoting:Linux isn't sacred- I welcome any quality FOSS operating system.

Yes, GNU/Linux may be a flag bearer of Free Operating Systems, but Free Software is about freedom which implies diversity, not a monopoly of one.

While I too generally promote only GNU/Linux simply because it is currently the only Free OS with best chances of beating the big guy, I don't mind any other Free OS being developed for whatever purpose, even if the purpose is to make former Windows users feel completely at home.

Besides, if we can have a Free UNIX-like OS, why wouldn't we have a Free NT-like OS? Remove all the bad parts and make improvements and you just might end up with something great for the future.

So kudos to React OS for the effort, they deserve at least this bit of limelight for their work.

To me, it is not about the OS, but something more fundamental which is freedom.
jimf

Sep 01, 2006
3:29 PM EDT
Libervis,

My objection is not with the FOSS part. I really question whether a reverse engineered Windows can ever be considered 'quality'.
tuxchick2

Sep 01, 2006
3:50 PM EDT
"even if the purpose is to make former Windows users feel completely at home."

I know what you really meant, but I can't help but envision malware, crashes, jackbooted license police, and endless frustrations.... :)
Libervis

Sep 01, 2006
3:51 PM EDT
jimf:

Well, I'm not an expert on that, but the way I see it.. why not? They don't necessarily need to depend on Windows all along. Once they have a codebase of their own they can solidify it and improve quality. As the code is open it is also easier to fix flaws.

Being FOSS actually makes all the difference. If Windows was freed today I wouldn't be surprised if its quality would improve by heaps thanks to the peer review process.
jimf

Sep 01, 2006
3:55 PM EDT
> If Windows was freed today I wouldn't be surprised if its quality would improve

And, if pigs had wings :D
Libervis

Sep 01, 2006
3:55 PM EDT
tuxchick2, yeah I guess it's hard to imagine anything that has something to do with Windows working like a charm. It's a dream, if you will, that React OS developers try to realize I suppose. :)

Imagine Windows that is free, secure, stable and advanced. :)
jimf

Sep 01, 2006
4:44 PM EDT
> Imagine Windows that is free, secure, stable and advanced. :)

You've been gazing at that flying pig screensaver far too long Libervis :D

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!