In response to Scott's article comment

Story: Changing the Report, After the VoteTotal Replies: 19
Author Content
d0nk3y

Sep 04, 2006
12:34 PM EDT
I'm not sure but they [MS] are sneaky like that.

I used to work at an organisation where they managed to get one of their pre-sales consultant guys onto the IT strategy board.

Obviously, anything put forward that wasn't MS was snubbed. In fact, one time, a linux based solution for part of a security project was put foward and they [MS - through this guy] threatened to remove our vendor support for all other MS products if we went ahead with that particular solution.

Scott_Ruecker

Sep 04, 2006
1:09 PM EDT
Sneaky? That's seems pretty straightforward to me..for being sneaky about it. :-)

I just don't get it. In my lifetime I have seen the Republicans go from being about small government and the Democrats for big government to everybody being for big government. The whole thing has fallen over on itself. The government controls the businesses and the businesses control the government.

Basically if you meet someone with money you know what they are about, keeping and getting more. Even if it means throwing their Mothers to the Lions.

Whats good for Business is good for Government is good for Business. So much for the people. They are just to be told what is good for them..and to be quiet about it. Don't want to end up in Guantanamo you know.

U.S.A. = For the Rich, by the rich, of the rich.

After 9/11 what was the American thing to do? Go shopping of course, we certainly do not want our rich to go hungry do we?

I would say I'm sorry for the rant but I am not sorry for what I have said, just for going WAY off topic here.

The only thing in our favor as far as M$ is concerned is, we have the International community to fall back on. At least in other countries FOSS stands a chance of not being torpedoed to death.
jimf

Sep 04, 2006
1:22 PM EDT
> the businesses control the government Actually that's 'big business', Specifically Corporations. Government rarely responds to real people any more.

And in my lifetime, I've seen the country go from a two to a single party system... Same people, just a different mask.
dek

Sep 04, 2006
1:34 PM EDT
Scott:> government controls the businesses

I'm not sure that this is the case anymore. Please specify what you think is the case for this. What I'm seeing is less controls on business but more controls on personal liberties vis-a-vis the Patriot Act and other idiocies like DRM, DMCA, software patents and copyright extension. I'm seeing wages basically stagnate in the ecconomy. I'm seeing potentially more discrimination allowed by the courts.

>>I would say I'm sorry for the rant

No apologies necessary, I'm feeling the same way!

Don K.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 04, 2006
1:49 PM EDT
>What I'm seeing is less controls on business but more controls on personal liberties vis-a-vis the Patriot Act and other idiocies like DRM, DMCA, software patents and copyright extension. I'm seeing wages basically stagnate in the ecconomy. I'm seeing potentially more discrimination allowed by the courts.<

That is exactly what I am seeing as well, Class Action Protection for Business, no controls, invasion of privacy and Intellectual Property laws, The FBI and Justice Department as lapdogs. The list goes on and on. M$ can get the Justice Department to act on its behalf whenever it wants too, of course I am sure that it was a last resort anyway right? ;-)

I mean, the PREMIER of China came to the U.S and who did he visit? The people in power, that's who.
jimf

Sep 04, 2006
1:58 PM EDT
> What I'm seeing is less controls on business but more controls on personal liberties vis-a-vis the Patriot Act and other idiocies like DRM, DMCA, software patents and copyright extension. I'm seeing wages basically stagnate in the ecconomy. I'm seeing potentially more discrimination allowed by the courts.

I think you have it. I'd also suggest that people look at the historical period of Fascism in Italy under Mussolini. You may see some parallels.

Scott_Ruecker

Sep 04, 2006
3:16 PM EDT
You are right about that Jim, there are more parallels than I would like to admit.

I can't wait for Bush's third term, how about you?

And if you think it can't happen..just wait.
jdixon

Sep 04, 2006
5:52 PM EDT
> And if you think it can't happen..just wait.

Oh, it can happen. It won't this time, but it can. The current Republican power structure values their newfound power too much to risk throwing it away by pushing for a third term. Bush's successor now, there a third term could be a real possibility, especially given the likely candidate.
dinotrac

Sep 04, 2006
6:25 PM EDT
Guys -

Paranoia strikes deep.

Bush couldn't win a third term if he tried. As wretchedly stupid and incompetent as the Democrats have become, even they couldn't screw up that badly.

I won't rule out another Republican president, but only because I expect the Democrats to take the House this fall. Unprepared to switch from whining to governing, I also expect them to illustrate the old "be careful what you wish for" warning.

They might wise up in time to prevent disaster, but their recent track record gives no reason to expect that.
jimf

Sep 04, 2006
7:01 PM EDT
> Bush couldn't win a third term if he tried

Absolutely no way...
tuxchick2

Sep 04, 2006
7:13 PM EDT
That's why the election will be called off in the name of national security.
jimf

Sep 04, 2006
7:17 PM EDT
> called off in the name of national security.

Well, then we'll know for sure ;-)
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 04, 2006
8:34 PM EDT
It seems that collectively..you all understand perfectly.

A National Security Event...

Elections to dangerous to be held...

Bush has the most experience anyway, right?...

Suspension of the articles...

and you think it cannot happen?...just wait, just wait.

Read a little history, its scary.
dinotrac

Sep 05, 2006
3:41 AM EDT
Scott --

I see it is time to buy stock in tin foil makers.

Read a little more history. Read, for example, about the passage of the 22nd amendment. Read about the Watergate hearings.

Read about more than 200 years of peaceful transitions. IF nothing else, read about an armed populace and 50 state national guards -- armed forces that are under the direct control of states, not the federal government.

Read a little bit more about what a totalitarian state is actually like. Here's your first clue: If this were a totalitarian state, the comments you've already made would land you in jail.

What's a little scary is that people can claim to have read history and still say the things you say.

Scott_Ruecker

Sep 05, 2006
5:37 AM EDT
We are no longer allowed to peacfully prtest our President, and neither are the Europeons allowed too.

Anyone who says the 2000 and 2004 election was not rigged is fooling themselves.

THE PATRIOT ACT!!! No more Bill of rights, detention without cause or represntation.

I will agree that the possibility for all of this is not at a 100% but it is not at 0% either.

When it comes to History everyone has their viewpoints, I am just pointing out the fact that we have some interesting situations here in the U.S.

And If what I am saying does piss of the right person I can be put in jail.
NoDough

Sep 05, 2006
5:56 AM EDT
It's incredible to watch what began as a sane lament of the conditions of our government morph into a Bush bashing party.

How fair is it to credit GWB for the last 40-200 years (depending on where you start counting) of government de-evolution?

Oh, and by the way, the only person I've EVER heard suggest that the two-term limits be lifted is Bill Clinton.
jdixon

Sep 05, 2006
6:57 AM EDT
> How fair is it to credit GWB for the last 40-200 years (depending on where you start counting) of government de-evolution?

Not fair at all. Now, the last 6 we can blame him for, but not the ones before that.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 05, 2006
7:51 AM EDT
I will do my best to bring this back to the subject it should have stayed on in the first place, which is my fault.

I honestly do not know how a corporation like Microsoft gets a seat on an Education Commision? I honestly do not know how that happens. I know that it is not unusual but what is the process?

I am glad to admit my ignorance of how this happens.
NoDough

Sep 05, 2006
8:14 AM EDT
>I honestly do not know how a corporation like Microsoft gets a seat on an Education Commision? I honestly do not know how that happens. I know that it is not unusual but what is the process?<

Well, this is just my opinion, but I believe that you must first be a member of the gool-ole-boys club. Membership fees are pretty steep. :^(
jimf

Sep 05, 2006
8:15 AM EDT
The real question is "how does any 'Corporation' get an 'official' representative on 'any' Government Commission"? Seems to me this is an immediate a priori conflict of interest...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!