DualBoot XP/Fedora 5

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
silvergirl0007

Sep 05, 2006
11:57 AM EDT
I'm taking an intro to Linux course which requires using Fedora Core 4 or 5. I opted to go with 5. Previously I installed Ubuntu for kicks and had no problems. I have a 40 gig HD with Windows and a 10 gig where I had Ubuntu. I wiped it clean for Fedora. It installed just fine (GRUB too), however, I can't boot into it because my boot menu only contains Windows. I'm a total newbie to Linux so when explaining, can you make it as simple as possible?

jimf

Sep 05, 2006
12:06 PM EDT
first read this: http://debcentral.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=627
silvergirl0007

Sep 06, 2006
5:03 PM EDT
I did, I understand some of the basics but I'm curious as to if there's a step by step tutorial I could go by to actually get into Linux or anything like that and fix this so I can dual boot.
techiem2

Sep 06, 2006
5:15 PM EDT
ah So basically when you installed FC5 you just installed the boot loader to that disk, not to the main disk to load both Winders and FC?

In that case, the general sequence would be to run the FC setup again and install the bootloader right, install a 3rd party bootloader by hand and configure it for both, or boot a linux livecd to chroot into your FC install to fix the boot loader by hand.

jimf

Sep 06, 2006
5:29 PM EDT
silvergirl0007,

the easiest way to proceeed is to install RH again, and when it asks to install grub, tell it to 'write to the mbr'.

both windows and linux should then be entries when you boot.

You cannot post until you login.