NIS + windows PDC

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
linuxnightowl

Sep 12, 2006
4:45 AM EDT
Hello EB,

Is that possible to configure NIS and windows PDC. Just like SAMBA + PDC, user gets authenticate through windows PDC. Appreciate your comments.

Thanks, Amol
NoDough

Sep 12, 2006
6:47 AM EDT
Not sure exactly what you are asking, but NIS and Windows PDC speak different protocols. So getting the two to intercommunicate is practically impossible.
dcparris

Sep 12, 2006
7:24 AM EDT
I know one can get GNU/Linux boxes to tie into a Windows PDC, which uses Active Directory to authenticate users. A GNU/Linux box can also serve as a PDC. I don't know how all that works, since I've only once (years ago) ever even attempted to get SAMBA up and running. Since I have no more Windows boxes, it's a moot point for me.
NoDough

Sep 12, 2006
7:35 AM EDT
Active Directory is just Microsoft's implementation (embrace, extend, extinguish) of LDAP, which was around long before AD. LDAP, in fact, is based on the directory standard used by Novell's directory services.

Samba uses LDAP + Kerberos to connect to Microsoft's Active Directory and authenticate users. NIS, on the other hand, uses conventional Unix-ish authentication methods and a completely different file sharing protocol which was also around long before Microsoft's protocol.

At best, you may find a project somewhere that has attempted to do this. I'm not aware of anyone that wanted to do this, much less of anyone that has attempted it.
linuxnightowl

Sep 12, 2006
8:59 PM EDT
Hello EB,

Thanks a lot for comments, even I didnt expected this much posts on my qwe. Actually our QA Eng wants to test their product's user using NIS+PDC. I think practically its impossible NIS + PDC.

Thanks a lot once again Amol

You cannot post until you login.