and if you need more functionality, try pfSense.org ...

Story: Build a Linux-Based Single-Board WAP (Part 4)Total Replies: 7
Author Content
pcatiprodotnet

Sep 13, 2006
6:18 PM EDT
Software: http://www.pfsense.org/ Hardware: http://www.pcengines.ch/wrap.htm http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_61&products...
dek

Sep 13, 2006
7:19 PM EDT
This seems to be spam?

Sorry.
tuxchick2

Sep 13, 2006
7:35 PM EDT
What functionality are you referring to? Some specifics would be helpful.
pcatiprodotnet

Sep 14, 2006
12:25 PM EDT
I recommend downloading and testing both softwares; it runs on any normal computer, so you don't even need to buy hardware to try it and judge for yourself what's best for you. Even more free open source alternatives are listed at the second linked page. And, spam? I gain nothing by posting these helpful links.
tuxchick2

Sep 14, 2006
2:49 PM EDT
I'm still curious about specifics. There are hundreds upon hundreds of Linux distributions, and at least dozens of tiny Linuxes designed for network devices. I can Google and get all kinds of links - what's valuable is a bit of feedback from people who actually use these things, and who can give a few reasons why Distribution Foo is worth a look-see.

pcatiprodotnet

Sep 14, 2006
3:09 PM EDT
Well, I've been running an olsr mesh using this type of equipment for several months. For Access Point / Mesh Node hardware, I chose pcengines over soekris because of feedback I read from others regarding speed/throughput capabilities, however note that I have never personally tested a soekris. For home client end hardware I chose to use re-flashed (with openwrt.org derivative) Linksys WRT54GL due to low cost ($65). I tried several AP os/software, and although I liked Metrix due to ease of installation/setup and use, all metrix units (especially the repeater/non-gateway units) would hang after a few days or more on pcengine hardware, requiring manual power cycle (although I assume metrix is more stable on soekris because that's what they sell); plus, we noticed reduced wireless range / connection reliability. So, then I chose pfSense.org due to second easiest installation and web gui, rock solid stability, and extreme functionality (highly configurable router and wireless gui; each software website will list it's capabilities; use wikipedia.org if you don't know the terminology); but all that functionality meant I should spend some time brushing up on advanced networking because I'm a programmer by trade/edu. Now we have a highly stable mesh with dozens of nodes scattered all over downtown in a 1.5 mile radius thus far. Your milage may vary. -pc
tuxchick2

Sep 14, 2006
4:13 PM EDT
OLSR mesh *drool* I sure would like to set up something like that. Just going by specs and prices, PC Engines WRAP boards look like a better buy than Soekris. The hardware is similar, I wonder what's different to cause problems. You've probably noticed that a number of the tiny wireless-optimized linuxes have different installation images for soekris and WRAP boards. So many choices, so few lifetimes.... ;)

pcatiprodotnet

Sep 14, 2006
8:29 PM EDT
> I sure would like to set up something like that.

If you would like, I could gather my olsr and dnsmasq scripts and configs for pfSense and linksys then email them to you (though it may take a few days). I was all about cost containment at first; so, with these configs, all you need is one mini-pci wireless card in each unit; it acts as both mesh/backhaul and Access Point with dhcp server. (note, pfSense needs a custom olsr script & config for now because their olsr gui isn't finished yet). And, for those clients that are a little too far away for their stock wireless card to work, I config a $65 Linksys WRT54GL to behave the same way as our primary wireless systems, acting as a mesh node, AP & hub with dhcp for zero-configuration. Also, none of this requires NAT inside the mesh or to clients, unless you desire it, so every client is assigned a unique IP address, which is great for authentication, tracking, and limiting connections and bandwidth. For wireless client security and privacy, I recommend this easy free software: http://www.iopus.com/iPig/ -pc

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!