Knoppix installation problem !!

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
nagen

Sep 16, 2006
3:01 AM EDT
Hi, I have problem installing KNOPPIX_V.5.0.1CD-2006-01-EN (live CD)on an old PC Celeron 333Mhz, 160MB Ram, 6GB HDD, Win98, but system gets stuck on the follwing line (Looking for CD in: /dev/hda). I tried same installation disc on the other newer PCs it works fine. I am wondering! even though system requirements meet but why not it's working on this particular PC Thanks
cyber_rigger

Sep 16, 2006
7:42 AM EDT
Then use a newer PC.

Save your old PC for MS Vista when it comes out.

:^)

From my experience, for live CDs to be useful, you need about 512m of memory. You might try a different live CD like Ubuntu or one suited for older machines.

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT6185716632.html scroll down
dcparris

Sep 16, 2006
6:03 PM EDT
For an older machine, you might try Puppy Linux. I understand it's pretty good.
number6x

Sep 17, 2006
5:34 AM EDT
Puppy is not really good for all older machines. Puppy loads itself into ram, and runs from there. Many older machines have limited ram. Puppy is small and fast, but I would suggest a minimum of 256 M ram, 512 M or more is better for puppy in graphical mode.

Damn Small Linux, Libranet, Zenwalk and others are good choices for older hardware. There are many others.

Spend some time at distrowatch reading about the various distros, and try a few out that are targeting older smaller systems.
jboyd

Sep 17, 2006
8:08 AM EDT
Hello Nagen,

At the prompt, type in 'knoppix nodma', hope this works for you.

Best regards,

John.

ps. leave out the apostrophe marks.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 17, 2006
12:34 PM EDT
I have the same error on a 1GHz Athalon, so it's not just old hardware.

"knoppix failsafe" worked for me.

You have no idea how happy I am that I'm not the only person who had this problem.
questioner

Oct 15, 2006
8:37 AM EDT
Same problem with an old server...

"knoppix failsafe"
Bob_Robertson

Oct 15, 2006
11:55 AM EDT
Also, "knoppix nodma" also works. It seems to be something in the DMA subsection.
cyber_rigger

Oct 15, 2006
2:58 PM EDT
Maybe the CD drive itself doesn't have a Knoppix compatible DMA mode.

I recall some of the older CD drives having problems even with MSwindows.

The system would install fine off of the CD but then after installation the CD drive would disappear. You would have to install a driver from a floppy.

Maybe the initial install is non-DMA and then when it switches to normal operation using DMA mode the problem starts.

Does using a newer CD drive help?

You cannot post until you login.