ubuntu linux finance software

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
thomasfm

Sep 17, 2006
1:17 PM EDT
I am looking for a good "quicken" like finance software application? any ideas? I just three weeks new to linux
jboyd

Sep 17, 2006
1:29 PM EDT
see if gnucash suits you. http://www.gnucash.org/
tuxchick2

Sep 17, 2006
2:08 PM EDT
It all depends on what you want to do, like how many accounts are you tracking, and what kind, and do you have investments to track, and do you like to do budgeting and forecasting. KMyMoney has a nice interface and is easy to use. The one thing it does not do is print checks, so if that is important to you oh well. But then, GnuCash's check printing is pretty poo as well. Non-US devs don't understand why we cling to the archaic method of writing paper checks. :)

Moneydance is not Free Software, nor is it free as in no cost, but it's inexpensive, does great check printing, and is more flexible and feature-ful than KMyMoney. It is Java-based so it runs on Linux, Mac, and Windoze.

GnuCash is pretty slick too, I just personally never warmed up to it. It's 100% Free Software and is well-maintained. You can use it for small business as well, as it does invoicing and tax tracking and other business-related functions.

The tricky bit is importing data from Quicken, since Intuit has been busily trying to foil that, and setting up auto-downloads from your banks and credit cards. Intuit has special deals with a lot of financial institutions, so you may or may not be able to do direct import into your Linux accounting programs. I've been able to make it work for all of my financial institutions, so it's not as much of a problem as it used to be.
cyber_rigger

Sep 17, 2006
2:11 PM EDT
http://www.aaxnet.com/design/linuxacct.html
SamShazaam

Sep 18, 2006
8:09 AM EDT
I second the recommendation for Gnucash.

Also KMyMoney has improved dramatically in the last few years. It is part of the KDE suite. I would recommend it for personal finance but not for any accounting use.
thomasfm

Sep 19, 2006
5:43 PM EDT
thanks for the help thomasfm
galeru

Sep 20, 2006
9:59 PM EDT
I think chrissy2006 must be some sort of bot. This is the second post I have seen with her talking about bsd. Maybe, if you aren't a bot, you could get rid of the spam links, and start a topic. I know, a crazy idea. But you should try it.
jimf

Sep 20, 2006
10:11 PM EDT
More creative than the average bot, but still a bot for sure.
GregorVK

Dec 17, 2006
6:43 AM EDT
Hello,

I am new to linux and I would like to install Gnucash but I am kind of lost (I am probably overseeing something completely obvious...). What am I supposed to do once on this page:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=192&pa... thanks in advance!
Abe

Dec 17, 2006
9:58 AM EDT
Quoting:I am new to linux and I would like to install Gnucash but I am kind of lost
OK, your are new to Linux. Let us start from the begining. What type of distro you are using? If K/Ubuntu, click on main menu (mostly Lower Left Corner) => Adept Manager Mange packages. type in Gnucash in the search field, you will see Package Status Requested Description gnucash not installed no change A personal .... gnucash-common not installed no change A personal .... gnucash-docs not installed no change Documentation ....

Select to install all three then and then click on "Apply Changes" in the main menu.

If you have a different distro, I am sure they have similar install utility and I will let you search for it.

If this was a bait, you fooled me once and shame on you.
hchaudh1

Dec 18, 2006
11:37 AM EDT
I am about to commit heresy but here goes.

[Kevlar-Check, fortified bunker-Check]

How about running Doze under virtualization. I use it for Google Talk. What, my family is overseas and its hard to provide support from here.

[/Kevlar-Check, fortified bunker-Check]
GregorVK

Dec 18, 2006
12:21 PM EDT
Hi again!

Thank you for your answer Abe. I have Ubuntu. I used synaptic file manager to download the packages of gnucash which installed itself but I can not find where to open it. It is not in "applications". (what is a bait?)

hchaudh1, Uhm, I do not understand what you are trying to say...would you mind trying to explain?

Hoping someone will answer my question bombardment
jdixon

Dec 18, 2006
12:57 PM EDT
Well, if it installed, you should be able to run it by opening a terminal window (Applications, Accessories, Terminal) and typing gnucash. That should get you working until some Ubuntu person can tell you how to add the icon to your menu.
hchaudh1

Dec 18, 2006
1:09 PM EDT
I think GnuCash is pretty much the leading financial s/w for Linux. I have also heard good things about Money Dance at http://www.moneydance.com but its not free. It does have a trial version though.

Back to my message, if using Windows based software is an option, and using Windows is an option but you want to ease into Linux, you can use VMWare to install Windows, how should I say it, install Windows under Linux. The setup is pretty straightforward on Ubuntu (that's what I use). Basically, it will install and configure Windows to run on your Linux instance. I use it to run Windows only software.

Considering you are new to Linux, I can see how this might not make much sense, but if you have someone to help you with it, you will find running virtualized windows helps ease the transition to Linux a lot. As always, forums and IRC is a very good place to start.
jdixon

Dec 18, 2006
1:16 PM EDT
GregorVK:

OK, in Ubuntu 6.06, there's an Add/Remove entry under Applications. If you select it, you should get a list of application which can be added. Hopefully gnucash will be in the list. You may have to select "Show unsupported applications", but hopefully not. If that doesn't work, then you're past where I can help with Ubuntu. I only have a quickly installed VMware Player version here at work.

You cannot post until you login.