Linux isn't even mentioned here...

Story: The Sorry State of Operating SystemsTotal Replies: 25
Author Content
wjl

Sep 25, 2006
2:25 AM EDT
Windows, OSX - that's it. So what? Use something less buggy ;-)
nalf38

Sep 25, 2006
11:42 AM EDT
The website should be called "Proprietary OS Weekly." Boo-hoo!!! My proprietary OS crashed!! I wonder why? No worries, I'll just reboot my computer....again and again and again and again....

I can't remember the last time I had to reboot my Gentoo box, except to upgrade my kernel.
dcparris

Sep 25, 2006
2:54 PM EDT
O.k., I confess. I reboot my laptop evryday. But only because it gets pretty hot, and with another box or 6 running at any given moment, I'd like to conserve at least a little bit of electricity. As for my primary General Purpose box, I'm not sure when I last rebooted it.
Libervis

Sep 25, 2006
3:31 PM EDT
It's one thing when you reboot your computer volontarily for whatever reason (and there can be alot of valid reasons) and another when you are being forced to reboot for something to work or get fixed up.
tuxchick2

Sep 25, 2006
3:49 PM EDT
Ooo, let's start a 'turn it off at night' vs. 'leave it running all the time' flamewar! I shut down everything at night, because it is wicked to be a watt-waster. And the moving parts get a rest. But engineering geeks like to bore me to death with long dull lectures about how turning electrical devices on and off causes Terrible Thermal Stresses and shortens their lives. I am not making this up- one of my friends is married to some kind of elite engineer person, and he doesn't even like to turn lights off, because of the Terrible Thermal Stresses.
jimf

Sep 25, 2006
4:02 PM EDT
> elite engineer person

Heh.. Well, relating to that, Don is right to turn off the laptop, as heat is more damaging than thermal shock, besides they're suposedly engineered to take a lot of on/off. Desktop machines with decent cooling are better to avoid thermal shock, but I see no reason why a once a day shutdown is going to matter much either way.... So, you're both right :D
tuxchick2

Sep 25, 2006
4:32 PM EDT
I think this thermal shock business is greatly exaggerated. Anyway my attitude is, I am the boss of my machines.

I have spoken.
dek

Sep 25, 2006
5:10 PM EDT
Hear hear!! All bow to the Queen-who-has-spoken!! ;-) (Sorry, couldn't resist, oh Queen!! :-D

Thermal Shock IS deadly -- if you go from -40 to +150 in half an hour! Somehow, I don't think that's quite what we're talking about here.
dcparris

Sep 25, 2006
7:12 PM EDT
Well, my Pa always seemed to keep the house right at about -40 - at least in the Winter - when I was growing up. I'm a whimp, keeping mine at a toasty -35. I run my PCs in the winter just to keep warm.
wjl

Sep 25, 2006
9:46 PM EDT
Heh - I was born in the "Eifel" in West Germany, close to the borders of Belgium and also Luxemburg. It used to be a cold place, with winters having a meter of snow or so (the right place to walk your dog in a meter of snow eh?) - but these days are long gone. Maybe that was me with all these running machines?

After discovering that our old Athlon XP1700+ takes some 117W on an idle Gnome desktop, we also shut 'em down. Keeps your energy costs lower, and global heating accelerating slower...
dcparris

Sep 26, 2006
10:07 AM EDT
Eifel, eh? I was born in Weisbaden. Small world.
jimf

Sep 26, 2006
10:55 AM EDT
> I was born in Weisbaden.

You mean we can't run you for Pres.... Bummer :(
tuxchick2

Sep 26, 2006
11:09 AM EDT
We could get him appointed as Grima Wormtongue to the next president. :)
NoDough

Sep 26, 2006
11:23 AM EDT
I had to walk 10 miles to the nearest computer.... in 5 feet of snow.... uphill.... both ways!
devnet

Sep 26, 2006
11:28 AM EDT
Wait...does that make you Eowyn TC?

wjl

Sep 26, 2006
11:33 AM EDT
jimf> You mean we can't run you for Pres.... Bummer :(

Why not? Think about Schwarzenegger, Rumsfeld, ...
NoDough

Sep 26, 2006
1:25 PM EDT
>Why not? Think about Schwarzenegger, Rumsfeld, ...<

President of the US is the only position in the US federal gov't that requires a natural born citizen.
jsusanka

Sep 26, 2006
1:40 PM EDT
why does windows require a reboot for an office patch - I never remember rebooting linux for an open office patch.

my work patched office a fews weeks ago and I had to reboot my machine two times. there's a WTF moment if I ever saw one.
jimf

Sep 26, 2006
1:51 PM EDT
> why does windows require a reboot for an office patch

I remember that with the first release of W2K, it didn't require a reboot for almost anything. After the first patch, it went back to the reboot for 'everything' scheme. God only knows what they are hooking into, or, what their problem is....
jimf

Sep 26, 2006
2:20 PM EDT
> Why not? Think about Schwarzenegger, Rumsfeld, ...

It would take a Constutional Amendment to change that law. Schwarzenegger, Rumsfeld? not gonna happen...
jdixon

Sep 26, 2006
2:30 PM EDT
> President of the US is the only position in the US federal gov't that requires a natural born citizen.

I believe that if one parent is a US citizen, then the child is considered a "natural born citizen" even if born out of the country, so long as no attempt is made to claim citizenship in the other country. I think the clause only keeps "naturalized" citizens from becoming president: Schwarzenegger, for example.
jimf

Sep 26, 2006
2:42 PM EDT
Appearently a legal point of contention jdixon. So far it's only been native born.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural-born_citizen
jdixon

Sep 26, 2006
4:42 PM EDT
Jimf:

Thanks for the pointer. I think my interpretation matches the majority at this time, but I agree the matter is debatable and will have to be settled by the Supreme Court if it ever comes up.
dcparris

Sep 26, 2006
4:47 PM EDT
> You mean we can't run you for Pres.... Bummer :(

I may actually be eligible. I was born on "American soil" - the USAF base. My parents are native Carolinians. My understanding is that I had dual-citizenship until I was 18. Whether I could garner any votes beyond the LXer demographic is dubious though. ;-) I forget who, but someone fairly knowledgeable explained that I am still eligible. However, the question is whether I am crazy enough to actually want to run for that office. I guess I would have to win as a write-in candidate.
jdixon

Sep 26, 2006
4:55 PM EDT
DC:

> However, the question is whether I am crazy enough to actually want to run for that office.

Ideally, you don't run for President (or any political office) because you want to. You run because the other folks are complete and total idiots and the people badly need you to take over the asylum for a while. :)

On that basis, I'd say you're probably better qualified than most of the folks already there, especially as you seem to have a firm grasp of your limitations, something which is extremely lacking in our current administration.
dcparris

Sep 26, 2006
5:56 PM EDT
> Ideally, you don't run for President (or any political office) because you want to. You run because the other folks are complete and total idiots and the people badly need you to take over the asylum for a while. :)

Well, gee, that should be a cinch! :-)

> On that basis, I'd say you're probably better qualified than most of the folks already there, especially as you seem to have a firm grasp of your limitations, something which is extremely lacking in our current administration.

Now you're scaring me. Unfortunately, I grew up with that grasp on my limitations - in an extreme way. I still say an overwhelming number of folks would have to put my name in the hat, and then Tuxchick would have to be the campaign manager. :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!