yeah my boss is an idiot

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
oldskool

Sep 28, 2006
5:12 PM EDT
My boss has just dumped a wyse winterm thin client on my desk. It is a 5150se (http://www.wyse.com/products/winterm/5150SE/index.asp) running wyse linux v6.

He has managed to lock himself out of any admin rights and has asked me to fix it :/

The thin client now auto logs into the account which has no admin rights, I cannot even get into control panel.

had a look online for a solution, im lost!

What can I do to solve, is there any way I can reset it to its factory settings? Is there a linux default admin account I can login to( which I hope he has not changed the pword to), if so how do I bring up a login screen,

please keep in mind I have no knowledge of linux.

thanks for all your help, sorry for the long winded email!!!
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 28, 2006
6:01 PM EDT
Is there any information that needs to be retrieved from the computer?

If not then get the install disks from your boss and do a complete re-install.

This Is Important! - Make sure that you create a user profile that is separate from the root profile, the root profile is created when installing and most Distributions ask you to create a user profile anyway.

That should solve the log-in problem. I hope. ;-)

Regards
oldskool

Sep 28, 2006
6:08 PM EDT
this unit is aparently about 1 year old, the unit came with the os already on it.

no idea where the box, cd's etc are....

was hoping I could get around this without a full re install
jdixon

Sep 28, 2006
6:18 PM EDT
Well, it's impossible to tell much without downloading a bunch spec sheets from Wyse, which I'm not up to doing tonight.

Does the unit have an onboard floppy or CD from which it can boot? If so, any of he numerous bootable Linux floppies/CD's should let you get into the system and modify things. Tomsrtbt is a good bootable floppy, and Knoppix is a good bootable CD.

However, it's always possible that this is a true thin client, and that it only loads a kernel from the network and runs everything from a server. In that case the problem probably isn't on the machine in question, but on the server; and you'll have to work with your server administrators to get things fixed.
oldskool

Sep 28, 2006
6:31 PM EDT
it is a thin client, currently standalone, no hdisk os must be stored in mem somewhere...
oldskool

Sep 28, 2006
6:31 PM EDT
http://www.wyse.com/products/winterm/5150SE/index.asp
jdixon

Sep 28, 2006
6:38 PM EDT
Hmm. OK, that sure sounds like it's only loading a kernel from ROM or the network and actually running most things from a server. See my comment above in that case. Actually, you can test that out by having him log into another unit of the same type (hopefully you have more than one?) and see if he still has the problem. If so, it's a problem with a server based account, not with the machine. If not, it's a problem with the machine.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 28, 2006
7:03 PM EDT
Ok so..

First, thank you for the info. It does help. :-)

It is a custom Linux configuration that uses X11 for a window manager and does not require a lot of system resources but you do not have a CD-ROM, so..

1. Can you get into the BIOS to make changes?

2. If you can, does the BIOS support booting from USB?

3. If so, download Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux onto your computer and then burn it to the pen drive. Now here is where I get fuzzy on things. i have been looking for info to help you on that but I am coming up short.

maybe I need to write one up..;-)

can anybody help me help him here?

oldskool

Sep 28, 2006
8:30 PM EDT
another stupid question from a non linux user (prepare to cringe), how do you get into bios.

- the unit simply boots - scans for DHCP (possibly looking for a non-existent linux server). - stated" no boot file name received" - states" exiting PXE rom - pics up a ip address from our WIndows server etc -boots into linux.

This may be a watered down version of Linux which runs locally on the pc.

I should have stated what we were trying to achieve here. The unit currently has Citrix install and we want to use these simply to connect remotely to our citrix server (to save band witdth etc).

thanks again for everybodies help.

jdixon

Sep 29, 2006
5:51 AM EDT
> another stupid question from a non linux user (prepare to cringe), how do you get into bios.

Getting into the bios is machine specific and has nothing to do with the OS. :(

On most machines you do it by hitting esc, del, F1, F2, F10, or some such as the machine boots. Some machines display a prompt telling you what to do (they may say press such and such to enter setup), others don't.

You cannot post until you login.