Dell Commercial

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 01, 2006
9:44 AM EDT
Moments ago, I was watching a Football game and a Dell commercial came on and at the end in big letters it said that

"Dell is the U.S. Industry leader in Linux Based Server Shipments"

I am never going to buy 'jack' from Dell anyway but I think it is pretty amazing to see Dell of all people even putting the word "Linux" in an advertisement.
SFN

Oct 02, 2006
5:10 AM EDT
Although it is nice to see a big name other than IBM mention Linux, it really feels like they are running alongside the bandwagon so that, should they need to, they can jump on and say they've been driving it all along.
jimf

Oct 02, 2006
5:20 AM EDT
Yeah, as you say 'pretty amazing to see Dell of all people even putting the word "Linux" in an advertisement'. but, I'd never recommend a Dell. The few I've worked on have been of very poor construction, and, proprietary to boot.
1c3d0g

Oct 03, 2006
4:16 AM EDT
SFN: that's exactly what I was thinking. Well said.
jdixon

Oct 03, 2006
6:35 AM EDT
> The few I've worked on have been of very poor construction, and, proprietary to boot.

Yeah, but it's a case of you get what you pay for. I was pricing a Dimension E521 with a Sempron 3400 and onboard NVidia graphics yesterday, and I can get a ready to load system for $319 after I removed the 17" monitor and upgraded the hard drive to 160 GB. Once I wiped the Dell provided virusware off it (i.e., Windows), it looks like it would make a good desktop system.
theboomboomcars

Oct 03, 2006
8:12 AM EDT
Quoting:Yeah, but it's a case of you get what you pay for. I was pricing a Dimension E521 with a Sempron 3400 and onboard NVidia graphics yesterday, and I can get a ready to load system for $319 after I removed the 17" monitor and upgraded the hard drive to 160 GB. Once I wiped the Dell provided virusware off it (i.e., Windows), it looks like it would make a good desktop system.

This intrigued me so I checked new egg and put a system together with out monitor with the Sempron 3400 512mb ram onboard NVidia graphics and 160gb HDD with mouse and keyboard. It came to $282.68. You don't have to pay for windows, plus when something fails you can replace it with standard parts, like MB or PSU.

Edit: It also includes a 16x DVD burner.
cyber_rigger

Oct 03, 2006
8:53 AM EDT
Quoting:Dell is the U.S. Industry leader in Linux Based Server Shipments

This makes me wonder even more WHY

Dell isn't serious about Desktop Linux.

tuxchick2

Oct 03, 2006
9:33 AM EDT
But they are acknowledging the importance of Linux, even if they can't escape Redmond's grip on their short hairs. It's good publicity for Linux.
jdixon

Oct 03, 2006
10:14 AM EDT
> WHY Dell isn't serious about Desktop Linux.

Server sales don't impact their Microsoft quotas.

> new egg ... came to $282.68. You don't have to pay for windows,

Actually, in this case having Windows is a plus, since my wife still uses it. Plus, it's preassembled, so I can just hand it to her and take her old system for my use. It's a bit slower, being a Sempron 3100, but I can live with it.

I tried duplicating your system, but gave up after wasting most of my delayed lunch hour and not being able to get a match between my motherboard and processor. :( Newegg doesn't make it easy to assemble complete systems.
herzeleid

Oct 03, 2006
12:20 PM EDT
hehe - I don't dual boot any more. I got my wife her own mac mini, so the x86 systems here are all linux. I suppose I'll eventually have to update her mac to an x86 version, but that's tomorrow's problem.

You cannot post until you login.