keyboard freezes in Mandriva2006

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
Irisat

Oct 01, 2006
10:24 AM EDT
Hello! I have Mandriva2006 installed in my laptop Toshiba S1800-100. I have tried to install the usb card wireless D-Link DWL-G122 B1. While installing the driver for the card the command modprobe rt2570 did not work, so I changed the Makefile from usr/src/linux : in the line EXTRAVERSION = -12mdkcustom I put EXTRAVERSION = -12mdk.

Now when I start the system with the wireless card inside the usb port, the computer freezes. If I put the card into the usb port after starting the system, the card is recognized, but the keyboard freezes in about three minutes; the mouse works; the other usb port does not, when I tried to put there the memory stick it was not recognized.

Here is the message from the syslog file that I think corresponds to the moment of hanging up:

Sep 30 13:49:23 localhost kernel: hub 1-0:1.0: port 2 disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling... Sep 30 13:49:23 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2

The memory stick alone works perfectly, without any problem.

I hope somebody can help me. Thank you all in advance. Irina
jimf

Oct 01, 2006
11:06 AM EDT
I suggest that you try IRC

Server: irc.freenode.net Channel: #mandriva

Most times someone will be able to resolve your problem quickly.
Irisat

Oct 01, 2006
2:14 PM EDT
Thank you for the reply. But I can't enter the server.
jimf

Oct 01, 2006
2:19 PM EDT
What IRC client are you using?
Irisat

Oct 02, 2006
2:30 AM EDT
Sorry, I don't know what is IRC client.
jimf

Oct 02, 2006
4:08 AM EDT
Was starting to figure that. Try asking here : http://mandrivausers.org/

As for IRC clients, In Mandriva you should have ksirc already available. In Windows, X-chat 2 is a decent free IRC : client http://www.silverex.org/download/

Although it touts mIRC, This is a good explanation of what IRC is and what it does: http://www.mirc.com/irc.html
1c3d0g

Oct 19, 2006
2:41 PM EDT
Uninstall Mandriva and use another distro that doesn't suck.
jdixon

Oct 19, 2006
3:19 PM EDT
> Uninstall Mandriva and use another distro that doesn't suck.

Oh, I wouldn't say Mandriva sucks. It's more a case of... hmm, ...uhm,...er...

OK. You're right, it sucks.
dcparris

Oct 19, 2006
3:44 PM EDT
I used to like Mandrake, but that was at 8.0. I like how they had different setups geared toward server or desktop installations. You could still choose everything, but it made it easy to choose between a workstation setup and a server setup. I thought that was pretty neat.

I haven't used it since I tried SUSE 8.0, so I don't know much about the new Mandriva.
jimf

Oct 19, 2006
4:20 PM EDT
I believe that PCLinuxOS is based on Mandriva. More than one of the LXer members would swear by that one. I just gave it a try, and, (if you must use an rpm based distro) it's very nice. A good choice for a new user.
dcparris

Oct 19, 2006
4:25 PM EDT
I think I have a copy of PCLinuxOS. I should probably give it a bit more of a trial.
jdixon

Oct 19, 2006
4:40 PM EDT
> PCLinuxOS

I've tried it as a live CD, and it seems to be OK. It won't replace Slackware on my machine any time soon, but it and Mepis are definitely my second tier.

You cannot post until you login.