OpenOffice can replace Microsoft Office ?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
dedang

Oct 09, 2006
5:57 PM EDT
Hi all,

Our org intents to use OO in our office, our pilot on OO is ok so far. However, we have a question about a replacement for Outlook in OO, is that possible? we usually use Outlook's calendar as a task assignment and tracking tool. But we can't find a similar utility/tool in OO for doing this.

One another thing, currently we use MS Office for word document, exel spreadsheet, presentation, drawing visio, outlook for managing mail box and assignment by calendar.

If anyone has experience for this situation, it would be appreciated highly.

Thanks, De.dm
galeru

Oct 09, 2006
6:41 PM EDT
OpenOffice doesn't contain a calendar program. I unfortunately can't help you in finding a replacement, but I'm sure someone out there can. Nor does it do email. I understand the Evolution is a very good email client, but I've never used it, so it's all just hearsay. Visio is the flowchart program, right? If so, Draw is the program that can do it for you.

If you need any help, please feel free to ask anyone else but me, because that's about the extent of my knowledge.

jdixon

Oct 09, 2006
7:18 PM EDT
The only program I know of which claims to be anything like Outlook is Evolution, which (like Outlook) is primarily an email program. It has a calendar function, but I don't know if it's compatible with Outlook or not. Hopefully someone else does.

Mozilla has Sunbird, but AFIAK it's not at all Outlook compatible, and it's still fairly beta.

The two flowcharting programs I'm aware of are Dia and Kivio. Both will probably do what you need, but I don't think either is capable of importing or exporting Visio files.
dek

Oct 09, 2006
7:39 PM EDT
For the most part, OOo can do what MS Office does. However, it does not have an email / calendaring client. OO Draw is not really that comparable to visio. Now, Inkscape (a Vector drawing program) may be able to replace most of what visio does.

Now, De.dm, you don't say whether you are using Windows and what version of it so I'm going to assume that you are using Windows XP as your operating system. In this case, Evolution (as Galeru suggested) is probably not going to work for you as there is no really workable windows port for it. My suggestion would be to look at Mozilla Thunderbird for email and Mozilla's calendaring program. Sunbird. Other than that, I'm not aware of anything else.that meets your needs on Windows. Now, on Linux, that's a different story but, like I said, I'm assuming that you are using Windows XP. If I'm wrong, please feel free to enlighten us!

LXer.com is largely a board for Linux OS and Libre (free) software advocates but we welcome all "seekers after truth"! ;-) So if you are using Windows and want to use open office in that environment that is fine.. We'll help you as much as we can.

I can't say that I have the most experience but this is my take on the situation you've described.

Don K.
jdixon

Oct 10, 2006
2:47 AM EDT
Don:

Thanks. It never occurred to me that he would be running OOo under Windows, but of course that's the most likely case. Duh.

Fortunately, Dia is available for Windows, though it requires that you install the GTK+ Runtime Environment.
dedang

Oct 12, 2006
3:30 AM EDT
Hi all,

Thank you so much for your valuable ideas!

It is my first time to go to such an exiting forum. I get back great ideas very quickly right after awhile posting a few minutes. That is a great support for me who is new to step into open source world. I feel very confident to go on the way...

Really, we plan to move on with Open source step by step:

1. Currently, we are having most Desktops and Network Servers using Windows XP/2K/2k3 and MS Office, Microsoft Visio, VSS...

At first stage, we want to try with Subversion to replace VSS - This lets us good result so far. We also try to pilot Open Office, of course in Windows. Until now, we can know sth about Writer, Base, Impress (Word, Exel, PP of MS respectively). Simply, we can create a document in one application and can open it in the other app respectively. However, there are some difficulties as follows to finish this stage:

- Some our exel files with charts can't open properly in OO Base. - Finding a tool to replace Outlook, after refer your ideas, i have tried with Evolution on Windows, i can't pass running the application although i finish install MSI package 2.6 on my Win32 box. - Inkscape is good tool for flow charts, but it doesn't support import/export Visio files. We have many visio files now. So, it is necessary to use a tool that can import/export/open visio files.

After this stage is piloted with good result. We can progress to replace MS Office by OO.

2. We can use Linux as network server environment (for ex, domain, dns, dhcp, mail server, file system, ftp, proxy, web ...servers), even replacement of desktop environment, so on..

I am responsible for piloting these replacements, but i don't have a lot experience to go with Open Source technique, tools, process,...So, any your supports could be appreciated highly.

Thanks, De.dm

number6x

Oct 12, 2006
6:03 AM EDT
didn't IBM migrate Lotus to Linux? ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/lotus/lotusweb/product/notes/datasheet.pdf
dek

Oct 12, 2006
6:38 AM EDT
To the editors and developers:: (I have no idea what happened here. I had written some stuff. Had previewed and edited it prior to posting. I got the message that it had been posted so I went on about my business. Obviously what i had written didn't make it into the forum. So I'm making a note of it for the editors and developers. I'm sorry. Wish I could be more specific about the details!)

Don K.
jdixon

Oct 12, 2006
6:48 AM EDT
> it is necessary to use a tool that can import/export/open visio files.

Unfortuantely, the Visio format is apparently poorly documented; and as far as I know no one else supports the format. The only thing useful I could find is the SVG Import Filter (http://www.ipd.uka.de/~hauma/svg-import/), which allows you to import SVG files into Open Office Draw. Apparently Visio can import and export SVG files, so this may meet your needs.
incinerator

Oct 12, 2006
7:38 AM EDT
pls move this thread to the "Linux" forum, it's ot in here.
jdixon

Oct 12, 2006
7:44 AM EDT
Incinerator:

> pls move this thread to the "Linux" forum, it's ot in here.

AFIAK, that would have to be done by one of the editors. You might email them and ask them to do so if it's that important to you.
dcparris

Oct 12, 2006
7:55 AM EDT
Thanks for bringing this up, Incinerator. I have moved the thread to the Linux Forum.

dedang: The LXer Meta Forum is for posting topics specifically related to LXer. General posts about software should be posted to the Linux forum (this forum). I realize you may not have known that, but it is important for you to post to the proper place to get the best response to your questions.

Thanks, Don

You cannot post until you login.