Re: Open Source Madness!

Story: Open Source madness!Total Replies: 11
Author Content
ccady

Oct 10, 2006
9:01 AM EDT
Point 1) SJVN refers to the a project called GNUtella. Although such a project exists, it is not the one he means. He means GNUzilla. Poor editing, I suppose.

Point 2) Firefox (the brand) is not free. (Although Firefox, the code, is free.) The Mozilla Foundation is not freely allowing anyone to distribute changes to the code and still call it Firefox. The means that beither the brand Firefox, nor its logo are free.

If Debian is to distribute software, it must be free, so that downstream developers can modify it. Ubuntu and others need free software to work with. There are two ways around this problem. 1) Debian can distribute the software with a free logo and a free name (IceWeasel), or 2) The Mozilla Foundation can free the name and logo

Since The Mozilla Doundation seems unwilling to do the latter, Debian is doing the former.
dinotrac

Oct 10, 2006
9:23 AM EDT
ccady -

I think you miss some very fundamental differences between trademarks and other forms of intellectual property.

A trademark is a guarantee, of sorts. Say you buy a Ford automobile. That "Ford" in the name doesn't just tell you what it is, it tells you who made it and gives you an idea of the quality behind it.

A trademark is different, also, in that it must be defended or it is lost. That's why little letters go out to writers reminding them that it's not kleenex, it's Kleenex brand tissue.
dcparris

Oct 10, 2006
9:25 AM EDT
Either solution is reasonable, imo. No one has to be angry at Firefox or Debian folks. The two groups simply need to be sure they understand each other and act accordingly. That's all there is to it.
dinotrac

Oct 10, 2006
9:26 AM EDT
dc -

Yes.

What some of the fire-breathers forget is that even RMS takes a different tack on trademarks than he does on other forms of IP.

There is a difference and it matters. The code remains free.
tuxchick2

Oct 10, 2006
9:30 AM EDT
Nice summary, ccady. Pretty much says it all. Except you left out "and SJVN is a sensationalism-seeking weenie." :)
dcparris

Oct 10, 2006
10:28 AM EDT
Yes, RMS applauds the use of trademarks. How interesting that we often forget/overlook that fact.
jdixon

Oct 10, 2006
6:07 PM EDT
> and SJVN is a sensationalism-seeking weenie." :)

Isn't that the definition of journalist at most places?
dcparris

Oct 10, 2006
6:36 PM EDT
Thanks, jdixon! I've been thinking to myself, "what a sensational journalist I am"! ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist.
tuxchick2

Oct 10, 2006
6:37 PM EDT
/me shines Don's head with Shinola and paints on a Groucho mustache
dinotrac

Oct 10, 2006
7:16 PM EDT
tc --

Now, inquiring minds want to know -- exactly where on Don's head is that moustache painted?
tuxchick2

Oct 10, 2006
8:39 PM EDT
Don, dino made me do it:

http://bratgrrl.com/Don_Parris.jpg
dinotrac

Oct 11, 2006
2:50 AM EDT
tc -

Hmmm. Looks like I should be forget all those Elvis sighting reports and keep an eye peeled for Frank Zappa.

Cool.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!