Undue influence...

Story: Shuttleworth backs KDETotal Replies: 9
Author Content
jimf

Oct 16, 2006
12:13 PM EDT
I suppose it great that Mark has decided to sponsor KDE. Any project can use cash support, but if Kbuntu is any example, with their abortion of the KDE control panel, this will do KDE more damage than good. I sure hope he keeps his suggestions for development to himself.
tuxchick2

Oct 16, 2006
12:25 PM EDT
I blame all those Gnomies. They're the ones who think features are bad and must be eliminated.

I shall run and hide now.

dek

Oct 16, 2006
1:54 PM EDT
>>> I shall run and hide now. And well you should!!! After all, who wants to dig through kth level of options just to get something halfway decent when it's all nicely configured for you in Gnome! ;-)

I love my gnome desktop! There's not one thing that I really need to configure that I can't configure via the menus. Whereas, with KDE, 'twas a different story. i had dig through I don't know how many layers of options just to try and find the one I needed. Half the time it wasn't there and the other half, it wasn't where i thought it should be. (It's been about 6 months since I worked with that PITB so don't push me for specifics.) I'm now KDE free and loving it!

(Let the flames roll!! Gnome rulez!! (wink)(wink) (GRIN) )

Don K.
herzeleid

Oct 16, 2006
2:20 PM EDT
I try to stay above the fray, and alternate between gnome and kde for months at a time. I also sample other desktops periodically. I feel it's useful to keep current on whats available to the new linux user, and it's good to be familiar with the big picture.

As for desktops, I could live with gnome I guess, but I do prefer kde as it's much smoother, more featureful and tweakable, and it is efficient enough to stay out of my way when I'm playing ut2004 or quake 4.

OTOH, on a machine where resources are tight, icewm, xfce, bb or afterstep are nice choices. And enlightenment 17 is very nice, if they ever finish it I could easily see making that my default desktop.

So what would that be, 7 different ubuntu variants? LOL, one suse distro easily includes all those choices and more.
jimf

Oct 16, 2006
2:42 PM EDT
> when it's all nicely configured for you in Gnome!

Many of us think not ;-)

Seriously, it's nice to have a choice.

> alternate between gnome and kde

OMG, a schizophrenic in the crowd :)
dcparris

Oct 16, 2006
3:03 PM EDT
> OMG, a schizophrenic in the crowd :)

Well I must be a multiple personality then. I like playing with KDE, GNOME, XFce, and even Enlightenment occasionally.
techiem2

Oct 16, 2006
3:17 PM EDT
/me keeps happily running fluxbox :)

jimf

Oct 16, 2006
3:27 PM EDT
> Well I must be a multiple personality then

No suprises there Don :D

Seriously, I run, or have run pretty much every desktop out there. Just at some point, one must choose 'something' or just declare it to be some sort of strange hobby. For me, and my equiptment, KDE works best. I think it's great that we have that choice, unlike in that other OS.
dinotrac

Oct 16, 2006
3:59 PM EDT
Hear hear for choice!

I have run KDE since it was first in betas about 9 years ago or so. I have never managed to feel comfortable with GNOME, but I will go to blackbox if I want to free up extra resources for working with Cinelerra.

So, I guess I'm a lot like a Windows user except for the viruses and crashes and EULA changes and activation codes and the fact that you really can't do much of anything without shelling out for more and more software and --- Goodness!! You'd think they'd have that Registry and slowly slowing down thing all worked out by now and What? I can't switch to a lightweight environment to free up extra resources for video editing? Jiminy Cricket!
dek

Oct 16, 2006
4:26 PM EDT
>> Seriously, it's nice to have a choice.

Yes it is!! I much prefer the plethora of choices over the "One Ring to Rule them all" philosophy.

I could get into enlightenment really easily -- it's just that what I've got now works for where I'm at currently. When I get a good test box set up then I can play around with it to my heart's content.

Don K. (Your resident Gnome Troll!)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!