Deliberate obfuscation.

Story: Microsoft to Offer Open Source Virtualization FormatTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Oct 18, 2006
12:45 PM EDT
These are not stupid people. DC's questions are the question anyone who questions Microsoft would ask, but they must first question Microsoft.

Watch carefully. Any "open" standard suggested by Microsoft will be a Microsoft "standard", just like MS-XML which doesn't work with any other XML but is still a "open"standard _by_their_definition_.
jimf

Oct 18, 2006
12:51 PM EDT
This isn't any change in MS attitude, just the same old, same old with a different spin...
jsusanka

Oct 19, 2006
6:02 AM EDT
I know that they recently announced some kind of support with the xen project (don't know - try to ignore microsoft news - they have no effect on my life) - but I want to know is if they are using any gpl xen code and if they are violating the gpl.

Bob_Robertson

Oct 19, 2006
12:57 PM EDT
I expect the GPL fans will be watching very closely what Microsoft does with GPL code. Such scrutiny is why I believe Microsoft has come down so heavily in favor of the BSD license (since they utilize BSD code). They can do so within their business model, that is, they can release compiled executable code only, and the BSD license says it's ok.

One person I worked with back in 2001 was convinced that XP was a BSD core with a Microsoft shell. He died of a heart attack before he could expound further.

In fact, I would be shocked if the "complete re-write" of Vista didn't involve exactly that kind of formulation. By Cromm, I know *I* would in their position, if for no other reason than the success that OS-X has had paving the way.
jimf

Oct 19, 2006
1:14 PM EDT
> One person I worked with back in 2001 was convinced that XP was a BSD core

XP is still pretty much grounded in NT technology, They hired Dave Cutler to do that one, but, I'm sure that Vista uses a lot more from BSD. From the begining, MS has always been better at stealing others work rather than creating their own, and, BSD is pretty much free for the taking.

dcparris

Oct 19, 2006
2:35 PM EDT
I have long believed that MS should just ditch New Techcrapogy and just put a GUI on either BSD or GNU/Linux. If nothing else, it would at least reduce virus issues by a fair bit.
jimf

Oct 19, 2006
4:14 PM EDT
> I have long believed that MS should just ditch New Techcrapogy

Well, I do agree with that part, but then it might be better if they try manufacturing shovels, or maybe just selling them.
dcparris

Oct 19, 2006
4:28 PM EDT
Well, taking that a step further, maybe they should get out of selling anything and just focus on marketing. At least they are good at that. :-)
jimf

Oct 19, 2006
4:32 PM EDT
Fertilizer promotion?
dcparris

Oct 19, 2006
4:48 PM EDT
The best fertilizer in town!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!