Hey, Windows gives you two freedoms!

Story: Rant Mode Equals One: Let's Re-License RedmondTotal Replies: 27
Author Content
hkwint

Oct 20, 2006
5:37 AM EDT
Hey, you're plain wrong about the freedom part! You sick MS-hating freedom lunatic!

Windows gives you two freedoms: 1) The freedom to roll your money in the wallet of Bill Gates, so Bill can give _OUR_ money to poor people in Africa stimulating them to buy Microsoft crap (so the money flows back) and becoming beloved in Africa for giving _OUR_ money away,

and more important, Windows give you freedom 2: 2) The freedom to fly out of the window and lose the sight of it, or smack it with the biggest brick you can find lying around in your room. An iron, a CRT-screen or un-re-activatable hardware (as long as the last is heavy) does the job too.

-edit-

3) The freedom to blame all your failings (and farts) to a crappy piece of software.
dinotrac

Oct 20, 2006
7:12 AM EDT
Hey Hans, I don't think you're trying very hard.

If we think about it, we can find a whole big pile of freedoms.

One comes immediately to mind...

The freedom to say, "Gosh, I hate to cancel at the last minute, but I'm looking at this funny blue screen and there's no way I can pull up my presentation and no way I can do the meeting without it. it's very in-depth. "
PaulFerris

Oct 20, 2006
10:41 AM EDT
dino: one of the new features of Vista I hear is that it can still do product activation, even if it has blue-screened.

This means that even after catastropic OS failure, Microsoft ensures that their most important service -- the addition of cash to the bottom line -- is still being delivered.

dinotrac

Oct 20, 2006
10:49 AM EDT
Paulie, Paulie, Paulie -

That brings cool to a whole new level. The Redmondies prove once again that they are second to none. Enron? Worldcom? Just second class penny-ante pikers compared to the Softies.

Can you imagine it? First you have to activate in order to use your own machine. With blue screen activation, you have to activate to be unable to use your machine.

Otherwise, I imagine, it just sits there chortling and telling blue jokes. After an appropriate amount of time, it simply disintigrates, leaving behind small piles of ash that spell out, "Bet you wish you had activiated, don't you?"

Oddly enough, corporations will discover that workers whose computers have disintigrated in this way are 3 times more productive than workers who managed to activiate their Microsoft software.

But then, that's like saying that the sun's going to rise in the morning.

jimf

Oct 20, 2006
11:15 AM EDT
> After an appropriate amount of time, it simply disintigrates, leaving behind small piles of ash

Wow! Biodegradeable too. An enviormentially friendly MS feature. Maybe they really are changing.
jdixon

Oct 20, 2006
11:57 AM EDT
Do you all mean that the BSOD hasn't always been a Windows Genuine Advantage feature. I feel so disillusioned.
dcparris

Oct 20, 2006
1:04 PM EDT
I have to give Microsoft credit here. I have always experienced tremendous freedom with their software:

0 - The Freedom to boot the machine. 1 - The Freedom to contract viruses. 2 - The Freedom the reformat the hard drive. 3 - The Freedom to reboot the machine.
techiem2

Oct 20, 2006
1:06 PM EDT
Don't forget the freedom to call and talk to a real live MS rep when windows won't re-activate after a reinstall...
jimf

Oct 20, 2006
2:25 PM EDT
> talk to a real live MS rep

More like 'to be instructed by'. Talking implies a two way exchange of information, and, they obviously will not listen to anything you tell them.
qcimushroom

Oct 21, 2006
1:48 PM EDT
Then there is the freedom that MS is doing best to take away, the one I value the most!

Not to use MS junk to start with.
hkwint

Oct 21, 2006
2:35 PM EDT
Ah, forgot: The freedom to click |OK| without reading the EULA.
tuxchick2

Oct 21, 2006
3:31 PM EDT
hkwint, I am afraid that is not so. When you install winduhs you are forced to page through the triple-dommed EULA before you can "agree" with it and move on.
PaulFerris

Oct 22, 2006
8:05 AM EDT
tuxxy: Another new feature in Vista is that it has an eye-screen coordination element (Part of the minimum hardware requirements is a webcam, believe it or not). You can no longer just page through -- you have to actually place your eyes on each piece of text and it times you to make sure that you didn't just quickly look at each word. Speed readers have already started a class action lawsuit.

That's our guys in Redmond, innovating away whilst the rest of the FOSS community plays ketchup ;)

I'm gonna play mustard now... No, wait, Pickles!

--FeriCyde
hkwint

Oct 22, 2006
1:52 PM EDT
Hey, Paulie, you _did_ see "A Clockwork Orange?"

Reminds me of the guy in that movie with the toothpicks between his eye-lids, tied up in a chair, forced to watch a movie.

Oh, nono, not forced, 'given the freedom to' (be forced?).
PaulFerris

Oct 23, 2006
4:56 AM EDT
hkwint: Unfortunately I did in fact, see "A Clockwork Orange". I'm still trying to forget :0)
jdixon

Oct 23, 2006
7:30 AM EDT
> I did in fact, see "A Clockwork Orange". I'm still trying to forget

It does have that effect, doesn't it.
hkwint

Oct 23, 2006
8:13 AM EDT
All fun aside, though a few decades old, I believe this scene is rather actual.

It looks like that's the way the content industry is heading.

My father bought a HD-recorder (with a harddisk) a year ago. When there 'soccer-summaries' are on TV, he starts recording, and after half an hour, he starts watching, while still recording. Thereby, you can 'chase' the recording, and by fast forwarding the commercials and BS-soccercomments, you can skip half an hour; thereby watching an hour of soccer in half an hour, and you are ready when the tv-programme is over. I believe it's possible with TiVo also.

Because people don't watch commercials this way anymore, the content industry started thinking about ways of making this behaviour impossible: commercials can't be fast forwarded anymore. I always thought: What's next? Forbidding people to go to the toilet during commercials? Tying them to the chair? That's when I thought of "A Clockwork Orange", a movie I can't seem to forget neither.
tuxchick2

Oct 23, 2006
8:45 AM EDT
Right, like being forced to watch something we have zero interest in, or have already seen ten million times is going to inspire us to purchase the product. Just more evidence that we need to remove all warning labels and let natural selection do its job.

Don't forget the irritating trend of inserting ads in the programs, across the bottom quarter of the screen.
hkwint

Oct 23, 2006
9:22 AM EDT
Quoting:Don't forget the irritating trend of inserting ads in the programs, across the bottom quarter of the screen.

Is that bad in the USA already? I believe we saw a first example of this on Dutch TV. Anyway, resistance is futile, after the PC our TV's will be turned into commercial-columns. In the future, they might directly project them on our retina as well.

Oh, Paulie (and everyone else); Sorry for bringing up the Clockwork. Didn't mean to ruïn your day.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 23, 2006
11:35 AM EDT
hkwint: There was? What show? Because I totally missed that.
jezuch

Oct 23, 2006
3:40 PM EDT
I say it's panic. They feel ground slipping out from under their feet and they don't really know what to do. Internet ruined their existence [all new means of comunication have that efect]. Species that don't adapt to new environment quickly enough become extinct. They don't want to adapt, so...

"It's evolution, baby!"
jimf

Oct 23, 2006
3:44 PM EDT
In the US, the bottom of the screen thing is 'usually' used by the network to pump (pimp?) other shows in their lineup. I see that a lot more than actual product ads. Still, it's probably just a matter of time till we see the soap ads.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 23, 2006
3:53 PM EDT
Like Jim I have only seen them pimping the local news show or the program after a game or special event, not ads.

Soap ads, I can't wait...
dcparris

Oct 23, 2006
4:02 PM EDT
Yeah right, like you can sell soap to penguins. What do they think we are anyway?
techiem2

Oct 23, 2006
4:07 PM EDT
Well, you could be getting dirty playing around in the MUD all day...

/me ducks to dodge the flying fruit
hkwint

Oct 24, 2006
1:28 PM EDT
Quoting:There was? What show?

Some Tia Maria adds in Stars (Iceseasels?) dancing on ice (sbs6). Also frequently I see commercials for other, upcoming shows. Let's hope we won't see it anymore. Thousands of people sending sms'es for € 0,60 each also, BTW. Any area in our (western societies) neighbourhood without ads? Not in my area!
jdixon

Oct 24, 2006
2:50 PM EDT
> Any area in our (western societies) neighbourhood without ads? Not in my area!

There are advantages to owning the surrounding 45 acres. :)
Sander_Marechal

Oct 24, 2006
11:08 PM EDT
@hkwint: Ah, I newver watch that kind of shows. I only watch CSI, movies and sometimes some comedies (The IT-Crowd on Canvas on tuesdays is brilliant!)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!